Initially Garton was a very basic station with a short platform and a single storey gatekeeper’s cottages serving the level crossing. In 1895 the station was improved with the addition of a stationmaster’s house, the old cottage was adapted as a waiting room and station office. At about the same time the platform was raised with a short section of the original low platform remaining in front of the station buildings.
The small goods yard was sited on the up side of the line on both sides of the level crossing. There were three sidings controlled by a ground frame on the platform. The goods yard was accessed from a short spur opposite the station building with a siding running parallel with the running line across the level crossing. On the west side of the crossing a short siding served a loading dock with the third siding serving coal drops on the west side of the crossing. There was a small lockup warehouse for parcels. Garton was the quietest station on the line with little passenger traffic.
Our thanks to Nick Catford of the excellent Disused Stations website for permission to reproduce this information.