North Grimston was not one of the busier stations on the line, either for passengers or goods. Like all the stations it was gradually improved in the 19th century. A small lockup goods shed was provided in 1881 and in 1893 at the request of Lord Middleton the following improvements were approved: new booking office, ladies room and general waiting room on the platform, removal of the goods lockup which was replaced by a new one adjacent to the station building, new stationmaster’s house and an additional coal drop for the exclusive use of Lord Middleton. The NER refused a request to extend the horse dock.
This work was carried out in 1995 and rather than raise the height of the platform as had been done at other stations at this time a completely new station was built on the east side of the level crossing. The old platform was retained in front of the new station house. Other improvements included station office, ladies waiting room and toilet and a gents toilet and the station now had the best passenger facilities on the line.
With the coming of the railway a tile works opened and in 1855 North Grimston Quarry opened, both bring additional freight traffic to the line. The small goods yard was on the up side of the line on both side of the level crossing and comprises three sidings, one serving the loading dock and one serving coal drops. Freight handled at North Grimston included barley, manure, wheat, oats, livestock, coal, limestone and roadstone.
North Grimston Quarries were expanded after WW1 with additional sidings being provided for increased production with the quarries maximum output between 1923 – 1930. With the opening of Burdale Quarry in 1925 output began to decline and the sidings were removed in 1932 and the quarry started using road transport.
Our thanks to Nick Catford of the excellent Disused Stations website for permission to reproduce this information.