Burdale Tunnel

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
menticknap
Paid up Member

Re: Burdale Tunnel

Post by menticknap »

I see the photo has dissapeared!
Onwards and upwards.
GavinB
Site Admin
Are you human?: Yes

Post by GavinB »

menticknap wrote:I see the photo has dissapeared!
Yes. I removed it following Alan's post.
MikeE
Paid up Member

Post by MikeE »

No doubt Graeme may be able to publish his newest series of interior pictures of Burdale tunnel in time but having seen them yesterday l was amazed at the deterioration and it really is the end of the line for the tunnel, nothing short of reboring will resurrect it now
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

MikeE wrote:No doubt Graeme may be able to publish his newest series of interior pictures of Burdale tunnel in time but having seen them yesterday l was amazed at the deterioration and it really is the end of the line for the tunnel, nothing short of reboring will resurrect it now
Luckily I have my "Patented Tunnel Reboring Machine" under a tarpaulin in the garage. It seldom gets any use. :roll:
ryedale lad
Are you human?: No

Post by ryedale lad »

Try Jeff Tracy Thunderbird 2 POD 6 The mole
or more optimisticaly
Removal of old brick work in preparation for new reinforced concrete lining
Last edited by ryedale lad on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
csimpson

Post by csimpson »

Take this as an opportunity to focus..the tunnel is completely unsafe and would cost millions to repair....but the YWR could be quite successful with a 6 mile line with three beautiful well restored stations and great scenery once past Sledmere and Fimber. This problem of infra-structure maintenance and renewal is not uncommon in railway preservation....why did Peak rail start near Matlock?? maybe to avoid the scenic but costly Tunnels and Viaducts North of Bakewell ?? and us at Embsay not too fussed about the destruction of a huge viaduct straight in Ilkley station...It is the huge burden of maintenance and upkeep. Remember most of us are volunteers and have limited time...
E&W Lucas
Are you human?: Yes

Post by E&W Lucas »

csimpson wrote:Take this as an opportunity to focus..the tunnel is completely unsafe and would cost millions to repair...
Good so far, but most had worked out the situation with the tunnel, without the help of the latest photographic evidence.
csimpson wrote:the YWR could be quite successful with a 6 mile line with three beautiful well restored stations and great scenery once past Sledmere and Fimber.
Burdale, Fimber & Wetwang? Two are bulldozed, and one seems to be private housing. The latter isn't going to be cheap to buy, even if the present owner wanted to sell. To rebuild the others would cost a small fortune! An NER style wooden shelter (eg Grosmont plat 3), on a sleeper or brick frame/ ash filled platform maybe.

You're still not grasping the issue of level crossings. Just because other projects hope/ plan to install them, does not mean that they will be able to. The last ones that I can think of on a heritage line are on the Llanberris Lake railway, and they were installed circa 2000, over the road into the Welsh Slate Museum car park. That predates the policy documents that have been linked to on here.

From what you've posted, can it be assumed that the stretch of trackbed that you have been offered is South of Fimber?
MikeE
Paid up Member

Post by MikeE »

I have to say Mr Lucas, you are certainly determined in your attempts to discourage and disillusion everyone in this venture, you are the YWR equivalent to lord Haw Haw.
Wildebeeste
Paid up Member

Post by Wildebeeste »

I agree with Mike E. Mr. Lucas.

Perhaps you would give us the benefit of your ideas on what "you" would do in "our" situation and then let "us" evaluate your ideas?
csimpson

Post by csimpson »

I get your point...some structures have long gone..but over time and with focus they can be put back... and even made better than before. Just look at the Lllangollen railway and their plans for Corwen, and Embsay railway has plans for Skipton platform 5 (last used in 1970) and Addingham (ripped up 1966)
Right, all...off to Bolton Abbey station to relay some track!!!..ohhh just forgot that got ripped up in 1965 and if everyone thought like the certain folk on here it would never have been rebuilt in 1997 because:
it would cost millions,(fact: with grants and donations it cost alot less)
the world famous Keighley & Worth valley railway is 8 miles away and nobody would would use it (2010 was a great year..Embsay steam railway was visited by over 100,000 visitors)
I know there are huge issues and complications, but at least someone is trying to bring a standard gauge steam railway back into the East ridings and I hope all will work together to achieve this