Burdale Tunnel

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
AlanL

Re: Burdale Tunnel

Post by AlanL »

YNMR wrote:Is it worth placing a comment on the Bygone lines site about the aims of this group to try and get a positive from a negative?
I've asked to join the forum to do exactly that.
E&W Lucas
Are you human?: Yes

Post by E&W Lucas »

AlanL wrote:It's a shame that he phrased it in such a negative sounding way, as if he had visited this site he might have obtained a truer picture of our aims which are focussed on what is realistically achievable.
Sounds like some of the more unrealistic stuff that has been posted about this project is what has been remembered, and has come back to haunt you!

See what I mean:
dave92220 wrote:Looking at the photo, the brick lining has collapsed, but the tunnel itself looks intact.
Comments like that really do not do your group any favours. Look at the rear of the shot. There's a floor to ceiling collapse!

Moving to the positive, I think it would be most interesting if you could arrange for some footage of the inside of the tunnel to be taken. It would be an interesting feature for your website, and could also form part of a visitor exhibition, demonstrating precisely why reopening the tunnel is a non - starter. There's always something fascinating about places that you can't go! Could also be worth recording what's left of the tunnel, before the structure is deemed too unsafe for any form of access. There are already several former tunnels that are regarded as too dangerous to inspect, and I suspect that Burdale is going to be on that list before too much longer.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

" E&W Lucas » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:56 pm

AlanL wrote:
It's a shame that he phrased it in such a negative sounding way, as if he had visited this site he might have obtained a truer picture of our aims which are focussed on what is realistically achievable.

Sounds like some of the more unrealistic stuff that has been posted about this project is what has been remembered, and has come back to haunt you!"

Individual members are free to post their own opinions but these are not representative of the YWR as a whole. "My own opinion" is that the tunnel is not beyond repair and I can see ways in which it could be done but it is futile to dwell on such things.
I think making a video of the tunnel , whilst fascinating, would simply make the general public think we regarded restoration as feasible in the medium future so it would be counter productive.
dave92220
Paid up Member

Post by dave92220 »

Maybe I should have started with 'in the foremost of the picture', overall I can not say what the rest of the tunnel is like. We can only go by word of mouth.
E&W Lucas

Post by E&W Lucas »

AlanL wrote: I think making a video of the tunnel , whilst fascinating, would simply make the general public think we regarded restoration as feasible in the medium future so it would be counter productive.
Depends how you narrate/ present it. For example, as part of an exhibition at at reopened Burdale station (let's be optimistic here), it could add greatly to the context, and explain why there's a buffer stop against the tunnel mouth.

I still think it is worth recording for posterity, as it may well be too late soon.
dodger
Are you human?: No

Post by dodger »

E&W Lucas wrote:
AlanL wrote: I think making a video of the tunnel , whilst fascinating, would simply make the general public think we regarded restoration as feasible in the medium future so it would be counter productive.
Depends how you narrate/ present it. For example, as part of an exhibition at at reopened Burdale station (let's be optimistic here), it could add greatly to the context, and explain why there's a buffer stop against the tunnel mouth.

I still think it is worth recording for posterity, as it may well be too late soon.
Yes i have to agree with you on this, it would make an interesting talking point as part of an exhibition, i hate going to places and only been told half the tale, you cant simply ignore the tunnel just because it "may be" beyond economical repair, you have to make the best use of what you have got and not to publicise the condition of the tunnel as part of the overall plan to reopen at least a part of the old railway would be frankly stupid, its an integral part of the old railway and like it or not should be a part of any future reopenings, weather or not rails are ever relaid in it.
Richard Bond - willing volunteer
E&W Lucas

Post by E&W Lucas »

dodger wrote: its an integral part of the old railway and like it or not should be a part of any future reopenings, weather or not rails are ever relaid in it.
Exactly, it's "part" of the route, even if it never will be in a literal sense again.

The condition of this structure has obviously been monitored since closure. As part of such records, it would be interesting to know if any of the BR/ LNER/ NER inspection reports remain. If so, one wonders if they would suggest possible "trouble to come"?
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

I recieved this request from Graeme Bickerdike tonight (part only) -

"Could I please ask 'YNMR', who has posted my Burdale Tunnel photo on the Yorkshire Wolds Railway Restoration Project public forum, to please remove it as soon as possible. I shared it with Bygone Lines - a closed group - as I thought members would be interested to see the condition of this structure. However I agreed with the Birdsall Estate that it would not be made available on any publicly-accessible website - my error in not making that clear yesterday."
Nev Hill

Post by Nev Hill »

I don't think it's entirely fair to just quote part of Graeme's second post to Bygone Lines. He also added...

"Could you also pass on that the note that accompanied the photo was not, in any sense, meant to be "negative". It was simply a reflection of my view that the condition of the tunnel would preclude the YWR's ultimate aim of taking the railway back through it to Malton. (There are two collapses and the southern one is certainly "structural" - evidence of that can be found at the southern end of 'Tunnel Wood'.) I did not comment on the shorter-term and more achievable aims of the YWR as my post related specifically to the condition of the tunnel."
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Nev Hill wrote:I don't think it's entirely fair to just quote part of Graeme's second post to Bygone Lines. He also added...

"Could you also pass on that the note that accompanied the photo was not, in any sense, meant to be "negative". It was simply a reflection of my view that the condition of the tunnel would preclude the YWR's ultimate aim of taking the railway back through it to Malton. (There are two collapses and the southern one is certainly "structural" - evidence of that can be found at the southern end of 'Tunnel Wood'.) I did not comment on the shorter-term and more achievable aims of the YWR as my post related specifically to the condition of the tunnel."
Since I am new to that forum I am not entirely familiar with how it works so I thought I would just quote the most relevant part.