Bridge 1

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
AlanL

Re: Bridge 1

Post by AlanL »

AndyB wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:30 pm Nice detailed Map Alan, pre-Malton loco shed and no station shown at Sinnington! Also wasn't aware that that there was a previously a large brickyard on the Malton Woolgrowers site.

Wow, I have just looked at some of the other maps and have seen the wooden viaduct north of Wharram mentioned in Warwicke's book, the seven shafts on Burdale tunnel and what looks like some of the tunnel construction navies accommodation / buildings on top of the tunnel!

Andy
It seems that since the map was compiled when the M&DR was under construction then it's a snapshot of the construction work and presumably that is why many of the bridges are "wooden". I didn't remember about the wooden viaduct at Wharram and it had me perplexed for a while - why was it there ? Marshy conditions ? There was a row of cottages above Burdale tunnel called Tunnel Top Cottages and I wonder if they were owned by the railway ?
This is them in my simulation looking towards Wharram with the first ventilation shaft in the foreground.

ImageTunnel Top Cottages Burdale 29.7.20 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

terryt wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:06 pm Talking of bridges and tunnels I revisited the Settrington (short) tunnel today and went down onto the old trackbed on the Malton side and I was surprised to see that it was built to double track width.This puzzles me as I know the Burdale end of the long tunnel was double and the Wharram end single portal. Why would they make everything from Wharram back to Malton for single track except for the Settrington ' tunnel'. By the way I'm pleased they have repaired the North Grimston metal and brick bridge (I forget it's no.) as it may be good for another few years now. The quarry cottage is still standing -just wish I could legally get closer to it to take pictures for posterity!
Hi Terry, although many of the embankments were single track , all (I think) of the structures as far as North Grimston were double track so if you zoom in on the viaduct at Settrington on this map it is double track. https://maps.nls.uk/view/125632762
There are plenty of footpaths (again from the map) to the North Grimston quarry cottage and I would love to see a picture. I remember on first seeing it way back in 1978 I checked the fireplaces to see if they had NER marked castings but drew a blank. It was actually 2 cottages and there was a 1920s photo of it posted here many years ago .

ImageNorth Grimston Quarry Cottage 25.2.78 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
terryt
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by terryt »

Hi Alan just read your reply-thanks for that.I am away on holiday from Monday but when I get back I will definitely be going to try get a close up of the cottage(s).