Bridge 1

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
AlanL

Bridge 1

Post by AlanL »

To cut a long story short on the simulator I have been doing the area between Settrington "sort of tunnel" and Malton Bacon Factory. Now , according to the "some bridges have survived" thread Scarlet Balk bridge was Bridge 2 so it would be reasonable to suppose that Scarborough Road Junction bridge was Bridge 1. However , between the two there is a minor road which goes through Westfield Farm then crosses the M&DR trackbed on the level then joins up with the B1248 further on.
But on the 1893 map the road crossing appears to be a bridge which would make it Bridge 1. The embankment is a fair height here and although it crosses on the level now , it may have been banked up by the farmer.
Do we know if this was actually a bridge and if so was it girder or brick arch ?
Theres' also a curious feature here in that the embankment appears to have drainage ditches either side of it for some reason ?

https://maps.nls.uk/view/125632717

ImageWD Westfield Farm Malton 28.7.20 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Re: Bridge 1

Post by 4008 »

Interesting find Alan. I'm sorry though I can't offer any guidance on that one!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

4008 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:23 pm Interesting find Alan. I'm sorry though I can't offer any guidance on that one!
Thanks Matthew , is Mike Elliot still around ? He took a lot of the photos on the bridge thread.
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

He certainly is!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
menticknap
Paid up Member

Post by menticknap »

If it's where I'm thinking, I walked out there a few months ago. No sign of a bridge at all. Just a crossing.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200729-085627.png
Onwards and upwards.
Turnip Town
Infrastructure Director/Secretary/Treasurer

Post by Turnip Town »

I walked that area in about May 2010 and saw no bridge but did spot what looked like rail chairs under stone on the trackbed, just the tops of broken ones showing, so they might still be attached to sleepers underneath as they appeared to be the correct distance apart i.e. 4' 8 1/2".
Ivan Merino
Infrastructure Director/Treasurer
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

menticknap wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:55 am If it's where I'm thinking, I walked out there a few months ago. No sign of a bridge at all. Just a crossing.
Yes not now and it looks as though from Google Earth that they have some kind of path along the top of the embankment although the sides are very heavily overgrown. But on the 1893 map it looks like a bridge. Although I walked it in 1978 my memory isn't good enough to remember what it was like over such a vast expanse of time.
Edit* Well I don't usually bother with the 1854 map because it's too early to any detail relevant to 1950 but I checked and the first thing I saw was "Wooden Bridge" but it turned out this was where "Low Field Drain" went under the line - BTW the bridge over Driffield Beck is also shown as a Wooden Bridge. But at the site I thought there might be a bridge it does show an embankment up to the line so that's what it will be.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344602
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Post by AndyB »

Nice detailed Map Alan, pre-Malton loco shed and no station shown at Sinnington! Also wasn't aware that that there was a previously a large brickyard on the Malton Woolgrowers site.

Wow, I have just looked at some of the other maps and have seen the wooden viaduct north of Wharram mentioned in Warwicke's book, the seven shafts on Burdale tunnel and what looks like some of the tunnel construction navies accommodation / buildings on top of the tunnel!

Andy
jael
Charities Director
Are you human?: No

Post by jael »

I can just about remember the bridge over Driffield Beck and I think it was just a straight metal girder, for many years afterwards the river bed was covered by bricks which had just been left there.
John Lidster
Charities Director
terryt
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by terryt »

Talking of bridges and tunnels I revisited the Settrington (short) tunnel today and went down onto the old trackbed on the Malton side and I was surprised to see that it was built to double track width.This puzzles me as I know the Burdale end of the long tunnel was double and the Wharram end single portal. Why would they make everything from Wharram back to Malton for single track except for the Settrington ' tunnel'. By the way I'm pleased they have repaired the North Grimston metal and brick bridge (I forget it's no.) as it may be good for another few years now. The quarry cottage is still standing -just wish I could legally get closer to it to take pictures for posterity!