Trainz Simulator

Membership, Media and Archive Director

Re: Trainz Simulator

Post by 4008 »

Super Alan - thanks. That proves it then.

The diagram you have used is the same as I have - but it doesn't match what is there now, or the photo that must have been taken late in the railways operation. The track layout and dock arrangement is totally different. I guess it must have changed after 1920 ish.

You will note on the map, the track runs to the end of the dock. On the photo, it does not.
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

4008 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:12 pm Super Alan - thanks. That proves it then.

The diagram you have used is the same as I have - but it doesn't match what is there now, or the photo that must have been taken late in the railways operation. The track layout and dock arrangement is totally different. I guess it must have changed after 1920 ish.

You will note on the map, the track runs to the end of the dock. On the photo, it does not.
Yes, I will be altering it soon. I checked with the later maps and they all show the same arrangement so I can only think that what I interpreted as an end loading dock must have been simply a "stub end" piece of track with no apparent purpose !
This is the 1952 map https://maps.nls.uk/view/100945361
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Just for fun here is an aerial tour of the M&DR from Driffield to Settrington with a De Havilland Vampire jet fighter. It's in HD and as usual please click Like if you like it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg9F3qb_Q5M
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Todays little job has been to upgrade Tunnel Top Cottages which existed above the tunnel near the first airshaft. With no photos at all to go on my only info was the 1892 25" OS map and the 1952 OS map which showed that they still existed then. The 1892 map suggest that they had outside privies so they may have been single storey but the cottages I have used here are the nearest I could find which fitted the ground plan. I've tried to include a bit of detail to make them seem more real. On Google Earth their site is full of large trees now so maybe the rubble is still there. I wonder if there are any MDR bricks ? The building on the right is Fairy Stones Cottage named after the nearby ring of stones.

ImageTunnel Top Cottages (1) 17.7.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

ImageTunnel Top Cottages (2) 17.7.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

The Malton Dodger storms away from Burdale behind a Malton G5 cheered on by a couple of schoolboys.

ImageMalton Dodger at Burdale 22.7.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

and later simmers at Wetwang.

ImageMalton Dodger at Wetwang 22.7.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

My latest effort has been to model Wharram Percy. It seems that the church collapsed in 1959 so I am OK to show it intact.

ImageWharram Percy 23.7.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

Really interesting work Alan.

Thanks
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
andybat48
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by andybat48 »

The church was there and intact when My Uncle and myself were contracted to erect fencing and plant trees back in the early eighties as were the cottages. We spent quite a while there, as we started when it was rather cold and snowing. The oil in the tractor was so thick with it being cold that the post beater would barely work. This was my first taste of the Yorkshire Wolds Railway, many years before it was formed. I used to drive through Wharrham station every day back then.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

There's a 1948 aerial view of the tunnel and Wharram Percy here https://historicengland.org.uk/research ... rveyReport The 1854 OS map shows a "pumping station" presumably for the tunnel but it doesn't appear on later maps though it looks like the same building may be on the 1948 photo. I imagine it was a steam pump and it would be interesting to know whether anything survives of it.
andybat48
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by andybat48 »

There is or was the remains of a pumping station or I presume that is what it is on the site of Wharrham Percy alongside the woodland area that was there in the very early eighties when My uncle and I fenced the site off and planted trees there. I don't know if this is what you are referring to.