Buffer stops

terryt
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Buffer stops

Post by terryt »

Hi- bit of a strange request but I am trying to find a clear photo of a set of buffer stops anywhere on the MDR. I want to install some at Burdale but,unless my eyes are deceiving me, the only trace is on p42 of Warwick Burton's book showing the top horizontal rail adjacent the end of the first carriage.The end of the erstwhile quarry loop is simply guarded by an upturned sleeper and chairs!
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Re: Buffer stops

Post by 4008 »

Apologies, but I have drawn a blank with this as well. It looks like the majority of the sidings all had sleepers for buffers!

We are sure a full usual buffer was installed at on the Driffield side of the road at Sledmere and Fimber - where the YWR is now. When originally clearing the site, we pulled discovered a large piece of a buffer frame!

Unbelievable, I don't appear to have a photo of the remnants of this piece which is still on site, but a photo of what we are sure it would have looked like is below.
Attachments
buffer.jpg
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

You can make out the 3 rails which look like the risers, and the angled piece of rail which would have formed the rear of the buffer construction - we think!
Attachments
LIM_0871_LI.jpg
Matthew Brown
menticknap
Paid up Member

Post by menticknap »

I am privileged to have found those when clearing the area a few years ago.
Onwards and upwards.

Post by 4008 »

menticknap wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:42 pm I am privileged to have found those when clearing the area a few years ago.
Back in 2012!
Matthew Brown
terryt
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by terryt »

Thanks guys- the Peco rail built buffers are based on the one in the photo so I might just go with that-heavily weathered,and surrounded by long grass!

On a slightly different railway item-when the YWR rails eventually reach the erstwhile occupation crossing there will be a need for crossing gates. I can think of at least two original ones quietly rotting away along or next to the old track bed and I wondered if we could get anyone to a),donate suitable timber and b) use their skills to refurbish them.I think some of the metal "furniture" is still on them as an added bonus!