Railway Tools

Turnip Town
Infrastructure Director/Secretary/Treasurer

Re: Railway Tools

Post by Turnip Town »

Pity I don't still have the ones I made at Askham Bryan complete with big butch metalworking vices and a pipe vice. At some point a pedestal powered wire wheel would be good too for cleaning rust and crap from components and artefacts.

Oh and a decent welding and fabricating area too..... :)
Ivan Merino
Infrastructure Director/Treasurer
repton
Paid up Member

Post by repton »

AndyB wrote:hopefully we will have an engineering workshop at some point to put all of the metal bashing gear in, with a tasty steel bench............
What is the planned use for the next van body to arrive on site? I know part of it is to allow permanent mounting of the generator but that won't take up the whole thing. If no formal plans have yet been made can I propose that one end is used for the genny, power distribution and electrical stores and the middle and other end becomes an engineering store/workshop? Or would having a workshop in the same body as the genny be a problem from a noise perspective?

Paul
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Post by AndyB »

I think a bit of sound insulation for the genny, maybe some rockwool would be OK. Would need a good thick made to measure steel bench and a bit of thought given to partitioning and floor materials so that Ivan doesn't set fire to the place when he starts welding and grinding. :D I think the best thing would be to identify what we need to put in the workshop and what we think we will be doing in there, and then work out where everything needs to go.
Andy
chalkie
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by chalkie »

There is a steel bench on site altough it reqires a good sized engineers vice
🙋‍♂️
Maddog1968
Paid up Member

Post by Maddog1968 »

Some of the next van body is also to be used for p way tools and clips fish plates etc. There was talk about putting Eds pot belly stove in there as well to aid in the drying out of kit during the winter months.
Iain

The rage for railroad is so great that many will be laid in parts where they will not pay. George Stephenson.
Get me the rail and I will get you too green lane within two years. Maddog
repton
Paid up Member

Post by repton »

There won't be space for a bench then, at least not one with enough space round it to work. I like the stove idea...

Paul
AndyB
Paid up Member

Post by AndyB »

Maddog1968 wrote:Some of the next van body is also to be used for p way tools and clips fish plates etc. There was talk about putting Eds pot belly stove in there as well to aid in the drying out of kit during the winter months.
looks like we need two more vans then, you can't have a workshop without a decent sized bench to make and repair things on!
repton
Paid up Member

Post by repton »

AndyB wrote: looks like we need two more vans then, you can't have a workshop without a decent sized bench to make and repair things on!
Storage space seems to be one of our biggest problems at the moment, I'm sure we could find uses for another half a dozen vans without too much effort.

Paul
chalkie
Paid up Member

Post by chalkie »

We would like to see the final removal of what is left of the soil
heap (which so far hasn't cost the society and thanks to those who have taken amounts)
This would make more space, we can then move forward with storage space
And has been mentioned is something along with engineering space
we really need as the donated toilet block is plugging the storage problem for the short term
As always we all are moving things forward but without the rest of the heap
Away the question of space arrises for extra bodies
🙋‍♂️
AndyB
Paid up Member

Post by AndyB »

At some point we need to purchase some locomotive cleaning brushes like this one that I have borrowed from the Sir Nigel Gresley trust. This is the short version, the longer one is 4ft, used for brushing down all of the oily parts such as wheels, frames and engine etc with paraffin. (We could do with some paraffin, as diesel is not a good cleaning agent and does not readily evaporate).
Andy
Attachments
P1000632.JPG