Railway Tools

g.89
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Re: Railway Tools

Post by g.89 »

Andy, have you checked out the large pile of tools, including 3 socket sets in the BT box yet? I have been sorting recent donations and putting them in the BT box for weeks. There is even a torque wrench!
By Alan Cooper
chalkie
Paid up Member

Post by chalkie »

I have more too small engineers vice and socket set
🙋‍♂️
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Post by AndyB »

g.89 wrote:Andy, have you checked out the large pile of tools, including 3 socket sets in the BT box yet? I have been sorting recent donations and putting them in the BT box for weeks. There is even a torque wrench!
Alan, unfortunately l haven't been down for many weeks due to change in work pattern and family issues. Please preserve the pile of tools for the time being, I managed to pick up some good 36" stilsons in Aberdeen for a tenner, so they will come in handy! Now looking forward to finishing work at the end of October :)
AndyB
Paid up Member

Post by AndyB »

Went by today and dropped off the 36" stilsons, a couple of buckets and a fully overhauled pick!

IMG_0529.JPG

Need to plan a BT van tool clean up day and find a bench to attach Eds vices......
AndyB
Paid up Member

Post by AndyB »

Following our latest acquisition of two Permaquip link trolley's there will be a bit of work required in order to make them serviceable, and there are some missing parts that are essential in order to be a able to move and operate the trolleys as per design.

The trolleys are fitted with fail-safe brakes and we require brake handles and link assemblies in order to attach the brake handles (The brake spindle runs through the centre of the trolley and has flat bar welded to each end for the link assembly to slot over). There should be two link assemblies on each trolley, made from rectangular box section steel and attached to the ends of the trolley by a short chain welded to the trolley frame. The link assemblies are used to attach a brake handle or to join two trolleys together so that one handle can operate the brakes on up to three trolleys.
We also need push handles to move the trolleys, which are separate from the brake handle.
Link Trolley.JPG
In the photo the brake handle and push handle are in white and the link assembly is yellow. The parts are available from Permaquip, but we could probably fabricate them with a little bit of effort.

Andy
AndyB
Paid up Member

Post by AndyB »

We require many things for the future and it's always a good idea for members to keep an eye out for things that can be had on the cheap, and be brought up to working use with a bit of effort.

One thing that would make lubrication of the loco horn guides and springs much easier is a garage lube oil dispenser of the winding handle type, (the push down plunger ones are of no use for heavy lube oil). One of these with a good length of hose and a bit of 3/8" tubing on the end would make lubrication of the horns and springs much easier without crawling between the frames. These pumps come in many shapes and sizes, and I would expect to pay upwards of £25 for a rough one, while a restored one like in the photo would be around £100+!
IMG_1162r.JPG
Next we have the site dumper,we saw an old Thwaites site dumper being renovated at the Linc wolds Railway, and I know that Ed and Keith think that one of these would be really handy down at Fimber. These old Thwaites dumpers are extremely simple, normally having single or twin cylinder lister or Petter diesel engine, have no electrics and are easy to repair. Having our own dumper to move things around the site would reduce our reliance on having to use a third party and it would pay for itself within a short time with the saving in costs.

The dumper below was seen at the Driffield steam fair on Saturday, If anyone knows where there is an old rusty one on a firm, in a scrapyard etc, then it would be worth looking at.
Andy
IMG_1170r.JPG
Rob
Paid up Member

Post by Rob »

There's a dumper like the one in your photo Andy at the DVLR,had a look at it the other week at the evening running event,whether there still using it or not I don't know,Glynnis may know.
A quick look on eBay revealed quite a few for sale some better than others.
lady anorak 12
Paid up Member

Post by lady anorak 12 »

Rob wrote:There's a dumper like the one in your photo Andy at the DVLR,had a look at it the other week at the evening running event,whether there still using it or not I don't know,Glynnis may know.
A quick look on eBay revealed quite a few for sale some better than others.
Hi Rob yes there is a dumper like the photo at the DVLR but it's used around the site sorry, having said that it's a devil to start & normal it's pulled by a car to start it is useful when going.
Glynnis Frith
menticknap
Paid up Member

Post by menticknap »

AndyB wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 4:12 pm Following our latest acquisition of two Permaquip link trolley's there will be a bit of work required in order to make them serviceable, and there are some missing parts that are essential in order to be a able to move and operate the trolleys as per design.

The trolleys are fitted with fail-safe brakes and we require brake handles and link assemblies in order to attach the brake handles (The brake spindle runs through the centre of the trolley and has flat bar welded to each end for the link assembly to slot over). There should be two link assemblies on each trolley, made from rectangular box section steel and attached to the ends of the trolley by a short chain welded to the trolley frame. The link assemblies are used to attach a brake handle or to join two trolleys together so that one handle can operate the brakes on up to three trolleys.
We also need push handles to move the trolleys, which are separate from the brake handle.

Link Trolley.JPG

In the photo the brake handle and push handle are in white and the link assembly is yellow. The parts are available from Permaquip, but we could probably fabricate them with a little bit of effort.

Andy
Next time I'm down, I will take a look at this to see what we need to get it going.
Onwards and upwards.
AndyB
Paid up Member

Post by AndyB »

A few more useful items will be arriving at Fimber shortly, Kindly donated by one of my friends who owns a tool-making business, "Ryetools" of Pickering.

1 of Steel topped workbench (1/4" Top - Blue) - Heavy
1 of steel topped workbench (3/4" Top - Black) - Very Heavy
1 of steel topped workbench larger (3/4" Top - Black) - Very Heavy
350 Litre workshop air receiver.
2 x 3 phase distribution boards
Box of Hydraulic hoses and fittings (Some for YWR) - Most hoses are dated, will replace rogue air hoses on loco
Yellow large bore air hose.
Storage boxes.
Bag of high quality stainless steel hose clips - Should be able to replace all coolant hose clips on loco.

Can hire trailer for £36 at Ripon trailers next door to Ryetools and borrow pickup to bring to site next Wednesday.

Andy
3/4" steel topped benches, two of these are ours
3/4" steel topped benches, two of these are ours
1/4" steel topped bench
1/4" steel topped bench
Recently certified air reciever
Recently certified air reciever