Level Crossings

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
AlanL

Re: Level Crossings

Post by AlanL »

AndyB wrote:The new tiimber signal box at the south end of Pickering station is now structuraly complete and looks fantastic from the outside. Apart from the used lever frame, the structure is simply timber frame clad with boarding, with a concrete / block base and with a slate roof. Certainly something that we should consider as a future project, clearly there was just a platform lever frame at the original Fimber station, but as "Fimber Halt" is new, we don't really need to worry about originality and a timber structure is sort of "portable"!
Andy
The timber box in the NRM Great Hall is more or less identical to the former S&F box and so is the surviving box at Coxwold Crossing.
chalkie
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by chalkie »

where would you get construction plans of this
🙋‍♂️
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

I would expect the NRM must have plans of their one or if not it would be a simple thing to measure up. The NYMR probably have plans too, as their ex-Gilling box is to the same design.
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Post by AndyB »

Was on the Swanage railway last week, down in Dorset. This fantastic new signal box at Corfe was built from scratch and completed in 2011, dimensionally the same as the original that was demolished a long time ago but with larger windiows in the front.
I was invited in by the signalman and got to pull off the signals for the single car evening DMU returning from Swanage, a big grin was in order for that one. :)
Attachments
IMG_6989s.jpg
Turnip Town
Infrastructure Director/Secretary/Treasurer

Post by Turnip Town »

I must admit, I was thinking only a couple of weeks ago on site that we ought to obtain a signal box, or build one, on site to add an authentic feel! :)
Ivan Merino
Infrastructure Director/Treasurer
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Turnip Town wrote:I must admit, I was thinking only a couple of weeks ago on site that we ought to obtain a signal box, or build one, on site to add an authentic feel! :)
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/co ... ex22.shtml
Maddog1968
Paid up Member

Post by Maddog1968 »

chalkie wrote:where would you get construction plans of this
Ed the construction of one of these using modern methods but made to look authentic is not a problem, if I can get basic dimensions then I could draw up a set of plans to build one. As mentioned as we are only re creating an impression then it only needs to look right. Also when we get to green lane as the old crossing cottage foundations are still there I believe then something similar could also be constructed their with reduced cost due to the cottage foundations.
Iain

The rage for railroad is so great that many will be laid in parts where they will not pay. George Stephenson.
Get me the rail and I will get you too green lane within two years. Maddog
Turnip Town
Infrastructure Director/Secretary/Treasurer

Post by Turnip Town »

Sounds good to me. :)
Ivan Merino
Infrastructure Director/Treasurer
chalkie
Paid up Member

Post by chalkie »

as long as it has a pot belly stove and kettle i am in
🙋‍♂️
Maddog1968
Paid up Member

Post by Maddog1968 »

Just to add to this I have located the original 1905 architectural drawings and plan and sections of the original gatehouse on green lane which I am in the process of obtaining copies of. And to top this off also the track plans for the malton to Driffield line, and general 1905 GNR signal box plans and engineering drawings. I'm sure these all will be of use to us during time and may be of interest to add to the display in the visitors centre.
Iain

The rage for railroad is so great that many will be laid in parts where they will not pay. George Stephenson.
Get me the rail and I will get you too green lane within two years. Maddog