Burdale Station (site of)

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Re: Burdale Station (site of)

Post by AndyB »

The land access board is next to the stock gate, but the map showing the public access boundary is missing from the board. I have just bought a new copy of OS explorer Map 300, which clearly shows the land access area. Basically once you go through the gate, the boundary on the LH side is the road, the boundary on the RH side is the railway fence running up past the cattle enclosure towards the tunnel, then you have the whole of Fairy dale right up to the top and also up to the north side quarry fence.
The land access shading does not include the small strip of land which is the trackbed from the cattle enclosure to the tunnel mouth. But, the end section of the fence along side the track bed has now been removed, the old fence around the tunnel is now only posts, so effectively the tunnel is now no longer fenced off from the rest of the dale so I was not too worried about walking up to the tunnel portal.
This photo clearly shows the end of the track side boundary fence by the electric pole, and the fence up the side of the quarry.
Its a great place to go with a camera, wether you are into railways or not.
Attachments
IMG_0380a.jpg
Hazza
Are you human?: Yes

Post by Hazza »

This is the Natural England map showing the open access land.

The only simple means of access is via the gate at the foot of the dale, and as stated, the station site is officially off-limits.

A footpath used to run from Tunnel Cottages and around the far side of the tunnel, to join the road at the point where the open access land eases away from the road. This is still a favourite spot for hopping over the fence (perfectly legal, as long as you don't damage the fence) but you should then head up-dale a little before descending, to avoid a swift descent into the tunnel cutting.

The owners of Fairydale, Birdsall Estates, have agreed to the creation of a permissive path from the head of the dale to join the bridleway that runs east-west. This is supposed to be open from February 1 - June 30, but unfortunately, North Yorkshire County Council, who were supposed to be installing a gate, have fallen down on the job and nothing has been done.

This remains, however, another favourite place for hopping over the fence.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you do know, but just ain't so.
Hazza
Are you human?: Yes

Post by Hazza »

Today, I revisited the area and found that the county council have now installed the gate at the head of Fairy Dale, as well as the one close to Burdale Farm, which allows permissive access from the road, over the track and along a field edge.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you do know, but just ain't so.
AndyB
Paid up Member

Post by AndyB »

I believe this photo of Burdale Station was taken in the late 1980's, the brick railway bridge is still extant and I think the arch was removed in the 1990's?

Andy

IMG_20211121_0006.jpg
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

I am not sure when the arch was removed Andy. I think I have only seen one photo of it in place sadly and we don't have it on file!

Is this looking towards Fimber?
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
AndyB
Paid up Member

Post by AndyB »

4008 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:31 pm I am not sure when the arch was removed Andy. I think I have only seen one photo of it in place sadly and we don't have it on file!

Is this looking towards Fimber?
You are right about the lack of photos of this bridge and without all of the present vegetation around the abutments and embankments, it would have been quite an imposing sight.

Yes the view is towards Fimber.

Andy

Post by 4008 »

This is the only one we have.

Sadly its not dated, but I by the finish of the photo, I would say late 70's early 80's.
Attachments
740.jpg
Matthew Brown
menticknap
Paid up Member

Post by menticknap »

I read with interest. Some great photos here and nice that the old thread has been picked up.
This is what it looks like now (ish). Courtesy of Google maps.
Attachments
Burdale.JPG
Onwards and upwards.
Turnip Town
Infrastructure Director/Secretary/Treasurer

Post by Turnip Town »

Similar to the one on file, just a different time of year.
Attachments
Burdale bridge 16.jpg
Ivan Merino
Infrastructure Director/Treasurer

Post by 4008 »

Thats a good photo Ivan! Where is that from?
Matthew Brown