Last remaining length of bullhead rail at Wharram?

AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Last remaining length of bullhead rail at Wharram?

Post by AndyB »

The sun was shining on Tuesday, so armed with the 1950's 6" to 1 mile map, I took a trip down to Wharram to have a look at the chalk silo and trackbed to the North end of the tunnel. Its much easier to see the siding and track bed layout in the quarry area now that the foliage has died back, but I was still unable to find any remains of the signal posts or ground frames.
The water level in the culvert just to the south of the chalk silo was fairly low, so curiosity got the better of me any I had a quick look in the west entrance, as I have found from previous experience that heavy scrap items were often dumped in drains and ditches etc. And as you can see from the photos, I spotted a length of rail poking out from the water.

This condition of the open drain from the east end of the culvert up to the Wharram Percy overbridge appears to be in very good condition, considering the lack of maintenance, with the brick base lining still intact for most of the way. The over bridge pier brickwork seems to have deteriorated somewhat since my last visit in 2006, and I am quite surprised that Birdsall estates are still using it for vehicular access without carrying out any repairs. It might be just about OK for a landrover, but I wouldn't fancy my chances with a four wheel drive John Deere tractor!
Attachments
Wharram Chalk Silo culvert
Wharram Chalk Silo culvert
IMG_2409A.jpg (177.09 KiB) Viewed 6422 times
Wharram Chalk Silo culvert - Rail
Wharram Chalk Silo culvert - Rail
IMG_2411A.jpg (189.59 KiB) Viewed 6422 times
Wharram Bridge Brickwork
Wharram Bridge Brickwork
IMG_2433A.jpg (209.86 KiB) Viewed 6423 times
AndyB
Paid up Member

Re: Last remaining length of bullhead rail at Wharram?

Post by AndyB »

More Wharram bridge deterioration.
Attachments
IMG_2432A.jpg
IMG_2432A.jpg (182.81 KiB) Viewed 6421 times
MikeE
Paid up Member

Post by MikeE »

The length of rail is in fact flat bottom rail used in the quarry, all the running lines were bull head, my Father bought large amounts of the quarry rails when it closed for use as cattle grids on our farm at North Grimston and I still have one or two bits including a trailer drawbar made of the same, see attached pictures
Attachments
M & D file 310 (2).jpg
M & D file 310 (2).jpg (119.1 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
M & D file 309 (2).jpg
M & D file 309 (2).jpg (118.27 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
AndyB
Paid up Member

Post by AndyB »

Thanks for the update Mike, thats very interesting, I thought that it was a very light looking rail even with the corrosion, but I would never have expected that any of the quarry rails would have been flat bottom. I also found three short lengths of tram way rail, two of the rolled type and one pressed.
Attachments
IMG_2345A.jpg
IMG_2345A.jpg (102.91 KiB) Viewed 6398 times
MikeE
Paid up Member

Post by MikeE »

Those rails are very interesting, the aforementioned rails were standard guage for moving the chalk from the quarry down to the silo, the small rails in your picture were the rails for the tubs which transferred the chalk from the quarry face to the lime kilns, we used some of those for a cattle grid at the end of the farm road at Grimston Fields but on my last visit to the farm (now farmed by Birdsall estates) they had been replaced, there used to be (maybe still is) a length stuck out of the quarry face at Burdale.