Burdale Images

Please take time to post a message about your memories of the Malton to Driffield railway. No matter how small they are, it is always great to hear stories from the past.
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Burdale Images

Post by AndyB »

This photo was taken 1930 I think, with one of my family members in the "heritage" pushchair in front of the Burdale "Tin Tabernacle" or "The Bungalow" as it was also known as. Up on the embankment is the quarry engine shed which housed the Andrew Barclay tank engine, visible are the smoke vents in the roof which are not present in later photos due to re-roofing at some point?
Andy
Attachments
Tin Tabernacle Burdale.jpg
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Re: Burdale Images

Post by 4008 »

Thats awesome Andy!! What a super photo!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
terryt
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by terryt »

Hi Andy- just,by chance, seen your item from 2017 re the Burdale Tabernacle- I have just made an attempt at modelling this and my search through photos showed,as you say, how the roofline changed at some point.I was rather relieved as trying to model a clerestory roof would have tested both my patience and modelling skills.I think the end (facing Burdale tunnel direction ) had two windows originally but the photo in Warwick Burton's book appears to show them taken out by the time that photo was taken which is the period I am modelling. Without any plans i have had to guesstimate the dimensions unless you or anyone else can help with that-Terryt
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

Apologies Terry, I've nothing like that on record!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Post by AndyB »

terryt wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:22 pm Hi Andy- just,by chance, seen your item from 2017 re the Burdale Tabernacle- I have just made an attempt at modelling this and my search through photos showed,as you say, how the roofline changed at some point.I was rather relieved as trying to model a clerestory roof would have tested both my patience and modelling skills.I think the end (facing Burdale tunnel direction ) had two windows originally but the photo in Warwick Burton's book appears to show them taken out by the time that photo was taken which is the period I am modelling. Without any plans i have had to guesstimate the dimensions unless you or anyone else can help with that-Terryt
There are two photos of the hut in Warwicke's book, one with the clerestory roof and north facing windows in around 1925 and the second one at a distance in 1957 with smooth roof.

Andy
chalkie
Paid up Member

Post by chalkie »

At wetwang if this helps
Attachments
Screenshot_20200521-191740_Earth.jpg
🙋‍♂️
terryt
Paid up Member

Post by terryt »

Thanks for those responses.Is the one at Wetwang of similar dimensions and is it still there? I have more or less finished my attempt at replicating a semblance of what it would have looked like.Just waiting for some proper scale corrugated sheeting to arrive. Of interest in the photos is the multi angled smoke stack in Andy's fabulous pic compared to the more traditional straight up one in the book.Surely there would have been more than one stove for such a large building but I can't seem to spot any other chimneys. Terryt
chalkie
Paid up Member

Post by chalkie »

The one at wetwang is still there at top of Beverley road junction for york road dimensions i guess these buildings were mass produced for ease of construction.
🙋‍♂️
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

This was my first view of Burdale station in October 1976. My dad drove me there and I walked up the ramp from the road to find this shattered ruin just 18 years after the last train left.

ImageBurdale Station 3.10.76 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr