Isaac Best, Railway Guard

Please take time to post a message about your memories of the Malton to Driffield railway. No matter how small they are, it is always great to hear stories from the past.
Canada23
Are you human?: Yes

Isaac Best, Railway Guard

Post by Canada23 »

In the course of my genealogical research, I came across the following newspaper article about the death of Isaac Best
(3 Mar 1817, Pickering - 7 Dec 1872, Driffield,) who was a guard on the Malton to Driffield Railway.

From the Leeds Times, Leeds, England, Saturday, December 14, 1872, page 2.
SUDDEN DEATH OF A RAILWAY GUARD.-An inquest was held at Driffield, on Saturday, on the body of Isaac Best, one of the guards on the Driffield and Malton Railway. Deceased arrived at Driffield with the morning train from Malton, and after shunting his train, was waiting at the station for the time to return. He was about to enter the booking office, when he was heard to give a groan, and immediately fell down in the entrance. He gasped several times, and then died. . . To Mrs. Bookless, at the refreshment-rooms, deceased had frequently complained of pain in the chest, and she had given him a cup of hot tea to relieve his pain. Deceased was a very civil and steady man and much respected."

Are there any photos of the Driffield station from around this time - or is any other relevant information available? I'm writing a family history and would love to incorporate a few details about the railway and Isaac's work on it.

Many thanks,
Linda (in Canada)
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Re: Isaac Best, Railway Guard

Post by 4008 »

Hello Linda

I have PM'd you.

Thanks

Matthew
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director