MDR brick

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
chalkie
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Re: MDR brick

Post by chalkie »

There was a brickworks at hunmanby with i am told narrow guage railway the engine was pushed into what is now the fishing lake

With the rail connections its a possibility

http://www.hunmanby.com/parker.html
Last edited by chalkie on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
🙋‍♂️
andybat48
Paid up Member

Post by andybat48 »

This is one hell of a story and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I didn't know the Blackburn aircraft company operated at Filey for a year or two either. It is amazing what this one guy created for himself and others.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

If you look at the photo of Tunnel Cottage on page 43 of Warwick Burtons book you will notice that sections of brickwork have been knocked out around the front door, presumably by brick hunters.
Rail Rover
Finance and Legal Director
Are you human?: No

Post by Rail Rover »

We were walking along part of the trackbed in Fimber bottom a week or so ago up to this former bridge:

IMG_0195.JPG

The bricks from this seem to be marked as 'Castleford', so presumably brought in from there:

IMG_0177.JPG

I'll have to look at what is a public 'permissive way' or other these days. The gate near the road that you can see in the top picture is fastened shut & what appears to have been the northerly exit from the embankment (a 'kissing gate' in the bridged farm track) is also locked shut... :?
Phil Robson
Finance and Legal Director
AndyB
Paid up Member

Post by AndyB »

They seem to have also let the permissive signs there disintegrate, as with the one at the gate up the valley to the tunnel.

This Castleford brick is from bridge 10, but not sure if it is original or whether it is a repair brick.

IMG_4243.jpg
This one from Bridge 8 at Grimston
IMG_4136.jpg

Andy
andybat48
Paid up Member

Post by andybat48 »

It is possible that as the MDR is on the cement facing side of the brick, you would not know who made the brick until it was cleaned up. It should be easy to clean one as it would be Lime mortar which is easier to remove than cement. When those buildings were built it would most likely be mortar, not cement that was used for building.
AndyB
Paid up Member

Post by AndyB »

andybat48 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:34 pm It is possible that as the MDR is on the cement facing side of the brick, you would not know who made the brick until it was cleaned up. It should be easy to clean one as it would be Lime mortar which is easier to remove than cement. When those buildings were built it would most likely be mortar, not cement that was used for building.
I have just looked at my MDR brick which is clean on all faces, and there are no other markings apart from MDR on the top and bottom.

Andy
andybat48
Paid up Member

Post by andybat48 »

As I said earlier, they would have used lime mortar and it is very easy to clean up a brick without damaging it. Unlike cement, mortar remains pliable to a degree and does allow buildings to move a little as the weather warms and cools.