MDR brick

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
King123
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Re: MDR brick

Post by King123 »

I seem to recall seeing pictures of that sign on there website for the B&B Camping coaches etc. The railway station has been lovingly restored to former glory !
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Will wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:36 am When Ebberston station was still an unrestored mess, I remember seeing the enamel sign in two halves. One piece was being used as a lid for the copper boiler in the wash house :)
I used to know the couple who own Ebberston station and they regularly went to the Malton railwayana auction to pick up gear for the station. The Pickering Seamer line of course closed completely at the same time as the M&DR closed to passengers so railwayana from the line is very sought after and costs megabucks.
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

The forge valley railwayana is as rare “ as hens teeth” a Thornton le dale station lamp went for £440 at Talisman railwayana auction in January this year.
Just goes to show how badly someone wanted it and making good money!
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

And of course Thornton Dale was on the section which remained open till 1964 for goods so there's more chance of railwayana having survived. A single line key token from the 1950 closed section turned up years ago at Malton and it went for a lot of money. I used to own a Wharram - North Grimston single line fibre tablet and it was the only one I saw in auction. There's a collector in Malton who owns a trolley single line key (from the P Way rail trolleys) but I haven't seen him in many years.
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

The Thornton dale station stayed open l8e as you say till 1964 ass there was a stone quarry there. You mention about a railway key well there was an “”annex key “” in the last Thirsk railwayana 2020 but it was withdrawn from the auction .
There still a bit of that line items out there but there few and far between to say the least, very very good look if you ever find items!
Rail Rover
Finance and Legal Director
Are you human?: No

Post by Rail Rover »

On the subject of other lines, I got this at the Driffield auction in February for not a lot, which I'm very pleased with:

IMG_7309.JPG

It's not quite M&DR, but almost - in a genetic sort of way! :lol: :lol:
Phil Robson
Finance and Legal Director
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

I remember you getting that item at the Driffield auction house . As I was there to, but that is a pretty rare very nice item to say the least!
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Rail Rover wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:18 pm On the subject of other lines, I got this at the Driffield auction in February for not a lot, which I'm very pleased with:

IMG_7309.JPG

It's not quite M&DR, but almost - in a genetic sort of way! :lol: :lol:
I think I used to own that in the dim and distant past. Those railmotor diagrams are quite rare and desirable. Glad you got it.
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

Folks if you haven’t seen my post I put on the forum ! Keep a look out at the Malton Driffield railway cash bag ( brass) labels on Talisman railwayana in there auction in December 2020. That’s if anybody wants to have a go getting them for the railway or there own collection!
jael
Charities Director
Are you human?: No

Post by jael »

Going back to the brick there is a letter in the National Archives from the contractors building the line complaining they were being held up by the lack of bricks being delivered from Driffield. Despite stations, bridges etc. the thing using the most bricks was presumably the tunnel and I have always assumed that was the problem. Perhaps it was bricks for a more domestic use and the contractors or railway set up a mini brick works in the Burdale area. Unfortunately I didn't take a copy of it as the date on it may give some guidance of what the held up bricks were destined for.
John Lidster
Charities Director