Sledmere & Fimber Visitor Centre

GrahamD
Paid up Member

Re: Sledmere & Fimber Visitor Centre

Post by GrahamD »

Hello and firstly welcome to the forum. You are right in what you say. The 16th March is the closing date for the application and then it does go to a planning committee for a final decision. However by the time of the closing date we should have a pretty good idea of what the decision shall be, because we shall know any objections and also the support the project receives. I am pleased to say so far things are looking very promising. I hope this helps with your question.
Graham Danby
theholyllama
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by theholyllama »

I would imagine that as our application has been designated as Strategic, it will go to the full planning committee rather than the Eastern Team sub-committee. The next meeting for the full Planning Committee after consulation on our application closes is scheduled for Thursday 5th April, so hopefully that is when our application will be decided.
James Russell
repton
Paid up Member

Post by repton »

GrahamD wrote:The 16th March is the closing date for the application and then it does go to a planning committee for a final decision. However by the time of the closing date we should have a pretty good idea of what the decision shall be, because we shall know any objections and also the support the project receives.
Well if the comments showing on the planning site are anything to go by then it's looking good. All positive, although Fimber council do make some interesting points about footpaths and pedestrian safety. Am I correct in assuming that their last paragraph is suggesting a permissive footpath alongside the line?

Paul
theholyllama
Paid up Member

Post by theholyllama »

Yes, that is their suggestion, based on the grid reference they give.
James Russell
repton
Paid up Member

Post by repton »

theholyllama wrote:The next meeting for the full Planning Committee after consulation on our application closes is scheduled for Thursday 5th April, so hopefully that is when our application will be decided.
That was today then.

Any idea if it was on the agenda for that meeting and if so how soon will we hear?

Paul
GrahamD
Paid up Member

Post by GrahamD »

Hello Paul,
It was definately not on the committee meeting agenda today. I can confirm no decision has been made yet on whether this application is going to go to full committee or not.
However the next Council Committee Meeting is the 26th April.
Graham Danby
tigerbrew
Paid up Member

Post by tigerbrew »

Hello all.

As a new member I'm very encouraged by the proposals for the visitor centre and possible development of a short heritage line.
Are there any more detailed descriptions about what is being planned for those of us a little lesser informed, of course subject to permission being granted.

Regards, Steve W, Bridlington
There's nothing wrong with sobriety but only in moderation.
GrahamD
Paid up Member

Post by GrahamD »

Hello Steve, firstly welcome to the forum.
We hope to set up the visitor centre on the old trackbed across the road from the present Fimber picnic site. The visitor centre will consist of a coach, a brake van, a wooden platform and possibly a small steam engine. Inside the coach will be history and information of the Driffield to Malton railway. Hopefully we shall then be able to move on to a short demonstration line of approximately 1 mile in length.
If you are not already a member, you would be made very welcome and to come and help us set all this up and then assist us with a operating steam railway.
Graham Danby
tigerbrew
Paid up Member

Post by tigerbrew »

Hi Graham

Thanks for that info and yes I have become a member and look forward to "watching this space" as it were.
As a keen biker I pass the site most weekends at some point and often visualised in my minds eye steamers heading down that stretch of line.
Some years ago I had walk up Burdale Tunnel with a freind of mine but we only got as far as the collapse as you will know.

Cheers, Steve
tigerbrew
Paid up Member

Post by tigerbrew »

Hi everyone.
Forgive me for asking what might sound like naieve questions but they puzzle me and others might wonder the same.

With regard to the project to establish a visitor centre and track at Fimber.....

Since Dr Beeching wealded his axe on the line what happened to the ownership of the trackbed.
Did it actually belong to British Rail etc while they operated it and did they relinquish claim on it following closure ?
Is it now owned by the Fimber Estate and would we have to obtain their permission and blessing to re-establish a service on it ?
Will it be neccessary to purchase the trackbed to move further ?

Regards, Steve