Something scary at Pickering

Ricgough

Re: Something scary at Pickering

Post by Ricgough »

61638 wrote: I merely pointed out that the NYMR is no more accident prone than some smaller concerns and that if anything some of the smaller lines are more dangerous places to be.

As the new M & D doesn't exist yet it remains to be seen how it will fare in the safety stakes, but for all we know it might be a miracle that you haven't yet killed anyone! Complacency is the ebemy of safety!

I can't disagree with that - there is one organisation I withdrew from due to my perception that any formal H&S training was pretty much non-existent there and considering there is not one piece of flat track on the whole system, with gradients unmatched elsewhere, not to mention that people were sometimes asked to perform tasks involving (occasionally faulty!) tools and machinery alone, and in isolated areas of the site - I didn't really feel confident it was a safe environment to be in.

It is probably worth noting however that this present group (on paper at least) do have individuals with appropriate experience to implement a fit-for-purpose strategy, some of them in current positions of responsibility at organisations operating in an above 25mph context, others with workshop/lifting/building site experience and one or two who are used to being subject to this kind of regulation on some of the smaller HRP's (with very good safety records might I add).

Without being complacent, I have no concerns about my own record, though there is still a kind of retiscence lurking at the back of one's mind to tempt fate. What you can't always legislate for however is the potential for a breakdown in common-sense in others. I guess you just have to stay aware of what is around you at all times and where any potential for mishap lies. If at all in doubt, don't put yourself (or others!) in that situation.

I do accept that the incident at NYMR was more to do with a hitherto unknown characteristic of the vehicles in question rather than individual error - as far as I can see at least, and that no-one was injured suggests that whatever systems you have in-place to mitigate such incidents appears to be working.
E&W Lucas
Are you human?: Yes

Post by E&W Lucas »

Rail Rover wrote:As far as I am concerned, the more we work together & learn from each other, the better for the long term future of the Heritage Railway world.

Those with valuable hard-won experience can teach us new ones (like me) a lot. And I'm sure there will also be ideas that new 'clean sheet' HRPs have that can benefit the more established, when not constrained by an historic approach. This applies to whichever business you are in.
Good answer, and good attitude.

One thing to emphasise from the start is documenting what you do. Don't just train and assess, but make sure that you can prove that you have. There are times that you will feel that railways run on paper, not rails.
Ricgough wrote:
I can't disagree with that - there is one organisation I withdrew from due to my perception that any formal H&S training was pretty much non-existent there and considering there is not one piece of flat track on the whole system, with gradients unmatched elsewhere, not to mention that people were sometimes asked to perform tasks involving (occasionally faulty!) tools and machinery alone, and in isolated areas of the site - I didn't really feel confident it was a safe environment to be in.

It is probably worth noting however that this present group (on paper at least) do have individuals with appropriate experience to implement a fit-for-purpose strategy, some of them in current positions of responsibility at organisations operating in an above 25mph context, others with workshop/lifting/building site experience and one or two who are used to being subject to this kind of regulation on some of the smaller HRP's (with very good safety records might I add).

Without being complacent, I have no concerns about my own record, though there is still a kind of retiscence lurking at the back of one's mind to tempt fate. What you can't always legislate for however is the potential for a breakdown in common-sense in others. I guess you just have to stay aware of what is around you at all times and where any potential for mishap lies. If at all in doubt, don't put yourself (or others!) in that situation.

I do accept that the incident at NYMR was more to do with a hitherto unknown characteristic of the vehicles in question rather than individual error - as far as I can see at least, and that no-one was injured suggests that whatever systems you have in-place to mitigate such incidents appears to be working.
We're either seeing the benefit of constructive debate, or someone's had a word in your ear. Either way, that's better.

To put things in context, here's a list of misshaps that I've heard about in the fairly recent past. I won't elaborate about when and where, but all from someplace apart from the NYMR, and all subsequently notified/ dealt with as necessary. Ask yourself if these could happen on a small heritage operation:

- Loco moved with brakes isolated.
- Shunter tried to fit too many vehicles in a siding.
- Shunter put a derailer up in a siding, as a move was being made into it.
- Shunter operated points as a move was being made over them.
- Two coaches buckeyed together, pull test not carried out correctly, half the set left behind when it was moved.

All the above caused by individuals failing to follow simple procedures correctly.
E&W Lucas

Post by E&W Lucas »

I'm rather impressed with this - revamp of NYMR TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzaiCihW ... e=youtu.be
E&W Lucas

Post by E&W Lucas »

55022 will be working Whitby turns w/c 2nd July (subject to all the usual availability caveats!).

I believe some members of this forum may have a penchant for these machines.
Turnip Town
Infrastructure Director/Secretary/Treasurer

Post by Turnip Town »

Who's that then ?! :D
Ivan Merino
Infrastructure Director/Treasurer