look what i found today

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
AlanL

Re: look what i found today

Post by AlanL »

Well at this particular place it doesn't look as if it would be too hard to attract the gatekeeper's attention! I would guess that is the guard doing the gates - maybe the gatekeeper had been paid off to save money on the one train a day branch?
Normal practice at a crossing like this would be to have a "through bell" ib the cottage which repeated the bell signals from Wetwang and Sledmere, so my guess is that it was the equivalent of "User Worked Gates" today.
I think what looks like a trolley run off is just an effect of the bars on the gates.
Couple of other things I noticed are the gas pipe for a signal wire on the right of the crossing and the "Beware Of The Dog" sign!
It's a charming scene and I'd like to think that one day the cottage could be rebuilt?
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Post by AndyB »

I am just surprised that this was actually a manned crossing, was it manned because of the curve and hence poor driver visibility? The second old photo is fantastic, its the first time that I have seen these, maybe there should be a new folder in the line history on the main website, for small crossings and bridges etc.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Well the thing is that in those days there were far fewer cars than today and this road basically goes from nowhere to nowhere? As you say it's had to imagine why it was manned unless Sledmere Hall insisted on it in the early days for some reason?
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

Mike, I have a photo of Garton Baulk and it is as you say near enough identical! However, its laminated, and does not scan very well. I am trying to get hold of the original and will keep you in the loop! I have sent you a quick mail re your photos - if you get a moment, please have a read. Thanks!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
Rail Rover
Finance and Legal Director

Post by Rail Rover »

MikeE wrote:I have yet to find a picture of Garton Baulk gatehouse but I believe it was identical to Wetwang Green Lane, does anyone know if a pic has survived??
Yes! :shock: One has surfaced very recently, courtesy of Chris Whitfield of Wetwang. Unfortunately it is a copy of poorish quality & we have asked to have use of the original, which is held by a lady who was a toddler in the picture! It is a very welcome find. Matthew currently has the copy.
Phil Robson
Rail Rover

Post by Rail Rover »

...looks like Matthew beat me to it! :D
Phil Robson
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

Wow! We must have replied at THE SAME TIME! Awesome!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
MikeE
Paid up Member

Post by MikeE »

I look forward to seeing the picture of Garton Baulk, we must remember that a hundred and thirty years ago there were no tarmac roads and Wetwang Green Lane would be a far busier highway than it is today with farm wagons and cattle drovers using it more regular than todays dog walkers, these green lanes have become less used as other routes have been developed to deal with modern transport.
Fimber Road, Wetwang Green Lane, Garton Slack, Garton Baulk and little Driffield were all staffed until the passenger service ended in June 1950, after that until closure they were operated by the train crew of the goods trains although the supplements to the 1947 sectional appendix printed in the 1950s state that if a passenger train is to run over the line then the Station Master at Sledmere and Fimber must arrange attendance at these crossings.
Another point worth mentioning regarding these crossing is that they were all bound by rule 118 which states that level crossing gates must be closed to road traffic at all times unless they are to be opened for a user to cross, the 1931 sectional appendix exempts Fimber Road, Garton Slack and strangely Garton Station from this rule.
We still have numerous level crossings on Network Rail bound by this rule today, Howsham, Common Road, Lebberston, Cave and Welton to name just a few.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

MikeE wrote:I look forward to seeing the picture of Garton Baulk, we must remember that a hundred and thirty years ago there were no tarmac roads and Wetwang Green Lane would be a far busier highway than it is today with farm wagons and cattle drovers using it more regular than todays dog walkers, these green lanes have become less used as other routes have been developed to deal with modern transport.
Fimber Road, Wetwang Green Lane, Garton Slack, Garton Baulk and little Driffield were all staffed until the passenger service ended in June 1950, after that until closure they were operated by the train crew of the goods trains although the supplements to the 1947 sectional appendix printed in the 1950s state that if a passenger train is to run over the line then the Station Master at Sledmere and Fimber must arrange attendance at these crossings.
Another point worth mentioning regarding these crossing is that they were all bound by rule 118 which states that level crossing gates must be closed to road traffic at all times unless they are to be opened for a user to cross, the 1931 sectional appendix exempts Fimber Road, Garton Slack and strangely Garton Station from this rule.
We still have numerous level crossings on Network Rail bound by this rule today, Howsham, Common Road, Lebberston, Cave and Welton to name just a few.
So assuming WGL is not working the gates and a road user approaches from the north he asks the (former) level crossing keeper whether it is OK to cross? If he comes from the south he uses the telephone. I suppose against this is the fact that the former LC keeper might be out or just not be bothered since he wasn't a railway employee any more.
Logically then I suppose there must have been a similar telephone on the north side of the crossing.
Re the 1931 Appendix I suppose in those days Garton station would be staffed so it would be no sweat to keep the gates open to road traffic. What were the staffing arrangements for Garton station after 1950?
MikeE
Paid up Member

Post by MikeE »

After 1950 it became a freight only designated line and all level crossing gates were open to road traffic, hence the train crew stopping to close them before they could pass. After closure to passengers the stations were under the control of two station masters (North Grimston and Sledmere and Fimber) the stations retained a Porter Signalman to operate the crossings and look after the yard.