look what i found today

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
MikeE
Paid up Member

Re: look what i found today

Post by MikeE »

As a matter of interest were you aware the only surving part of the pole route still survives near bridge 19?
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

WOW! I would expect the W K markings are the makers - like "HWD" "Henry Williams Darlington" who made a lot of railway gear.
When I walked the line in 1978 I seem to remember the little telegraph poles in situ south of Burdale.
sproke

Post by sproke »

Where is the exact location of the B & W photo above? ie where is that gatekeppers house? Is it still there?
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

sproke wrote:Where is the exact location of the B & W photo above? ie where is that gatekeppers house? Is it still there?
It WAS Wetwang Green Lane, half way between Wetwang and Sledmere & Fimber and it is long gone.
MikeE
Paid up Member

Post by MikeE »

The picture of Wetwang Green Lane was taken from the brake van of the pick up goods on the 3rd of May 1957 looking towards Sledmere and Fimber, the hedge line behind the pole route is the B1248 to Malton, I dont have a demolition date but the rubble remains beneath the vegetation.
I have yet to find a picture of Garton Baulk gatehouse but I believe it was identical to Wetwang Green Lane, does anyone know if a pic has survived??
MikeE
Paid up Member

Post by MikeE »

Another gate and another pic of Green Lane on the same day as the previous.
Attachments
malton driffield 170.jpg
M & D file 002.jpg
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Obviously not the same gate which had 3 "Z"s at Green Lane as opposed to 2 on the existing gate.
MikeE
Paid up Member

Post by MikeE »

Correct Alan, one at the roadside which has been moved and one in the distance behind still in its original location, you can see the NER post and rail fence showing the site of the trackbed
Attachments
malton driffield 169.jpg
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Looking more closely at the old WGL photo it seems to differ from the 1920 OS map which shows it more or less hard up against the track, and that it seems to have been extended at the end nearest the crossing - noticeably different roof line.
Also on the other side of the track there's a corrugated iron hut with a diagonal striped "TELEPHONE" plate on it, and the NER enamel nameplate has it's "hoop" above it to hold the Telegraph Fault oval sign.
Presumably the telephone hut was for car drivers or farmers?
MikeE
Paid up Member

Post by MikeE »

Yes I was wondering about the telephone, usually there are two plungers which when pressed ring a bell in the gatehouse to summon the crossing keeper and if the phone was for the crossing keeper to contact Fimber station I would expect it to be at the house side, the only other possibility I was pondering was if you look carefully through the gate, is that a rail motor run off?? if so then the box could house the plug post as well as the phone, also can you see the steel tube under the crossing that would have had a signal wire through it, I wonder if it had worked distant signals at some time?? in which case there should be a ground frame somewhere.