My friend Richard Broadley

This area has been created for any newcomers to 'have a go' and introduce themselves. Once you are happy posting messages/replies in here feel free to join in elsewhere.
andybat48
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

My friend Richard Broadley

Post by andybat48 »

It is sad to hear of the passing of Richard Broadley. I have known Richard since early 2011 when I first started rallying Stationary Engines. We became good friends over the years, and when He turned up at the railway, he recognised me and that friendship was born again. He will be very sadly missed in all of his hobbies that he pursued, and will be missed by all who knew him too. Rest in peace old friend. I hope no one minds me posting this, I am sure Richard will not.
cowlamprincess
Business Development Director

Re: My friend Richard Broadley

Post by cowlamprincess »

Oh my goodness, how terribly sad. He was a lovely man with so much knowledge, I will miss him. 💔
Katy Bowser
Business Development Director
Cee19
Paid up Member

Post by Cee19 »

I have known Richard since joining YWR 3 years ago and we became really good friends often working together on Wednesdays. YWR will miss him and his skills hugely and personally I will miss our lovely friendship. RIP Richard.
jael
Charities Director
Are you human?: No

Post by jael »

We have had an email from his son, he will let us know about funeral arrangements.
John Lidster
Charities Director
andybat48
Paid up Member

Post by andybat48 »

Thank you for this John. He was such a great guy on the rally field as well as here at the railway. It will not be the same without him.
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Post by AndyB »

Richard was a thoroughly nice chap, and fitted in very quickly with the Wednesdayites, he was self managed and always knew exactly what needed to be done.
I will miss his tales of old Priestman excavators, traction engines and threshing machines, and his broad knowledge and love of all things mechanical.

Andy

Richard and Celia having fun painting the BV wheels.
Richard and Celia having fun painting the BV wheels.
Skipper
Paid up Member

Post by Skipper »

Richard will be sadly missed 😢
He was a great guy and a true gentleman, we worked well together and I will miss our talks on our shared love on Nuffield tractors.
R I P Richard
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

I was shocked and sad of hearing of the loss of Richard, a true gentleman and very nice friendly man.
Even though I only knew him for at least three years.he was very helpful and had an immense knowledge of things mechanical and engineering.
We got talking together on several occasions about my railwayana items I collect, etc. And one day I told him about my NER Keyingham platform lamp top I bought privately. He was really interested, as he lives not to far from there and knows the area.
So one day I put the lamp in my car and brought it down to site and showed it to him, he was pleased and really liked it.
Richard will be very much missed from the railway, as a volunteer, helping on the brake van, and the loco. RIP Richard
g.89
Paid up Member

Post by g.89 »

I can second everything that has been said and add that Richard was such a helpful chap and would advise or repair things belonging to volunteers. He fixed my trimmer for example and I was please to help him when he got an iPhone and had difficulty with it. Always cheerful and took trouble to greet me and say farewell at the end of the day,
He will be sadly missed by all at YWR.

RIP Richard
By Alan Cooper
andybat48
Paid up Member

Post by andybat48 »

There is nothing said here that I can't agree with. I arrived early in my time as a volunteer, and he had his railway lamp collection, which I did not know he had. I have seen most of his other pieces, such as stationary engines and wagons and tractors. All the years I knew him I never even knew his name until he joined us, but then I knew all the security guards at the University, but not their names until I moved back to the campus. He was one of the few, that you made a friend for life, and genuine was his middle name.