North Grimston Quarry Cottages

Please take time to post a message about your memories of the Malton to Driffield railway. No matter how small they are, it is always great to hear stories from the past.
Rail Rover
Finance and Legal Director
Are you human?: No

North Grimston Quarry Cottages

Post by Rail Rover »

I'm sure this photo may be in our archive as I came across it in a book about Birdsall Estate, but it's interesting to show here. It is at the foot of the hill going into North Grimston roughly where the Duggleby/Sledmere road splits off:

IMG_1712.jpg
Phil Robson
chalkie
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Re: North Grimston Quarry Cottages

Post by chalkie »

There are some small lime kilns near there that are still visible,
🙋‍♂️
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

That's a great photo. Just fab!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

I found an old search for Mr Staples online a few years ago and it said one of the cottages was occupied by Mr Staples then his mother until she died aged 90 in 1951. That didn't make sense since John Staples was listed as Quarry Foreman in 1881 so his mother would obviously not be alive until 1951. However there's a war memorial in North Grimston which mentions the death of Joseph Staples in WW1 and that would make perfect sense. You notice on the right hand cottage the window frames aren't painted so it may already have been empty in the 1930s and if Mrs Staples died in 1951 that would explain why it was already derelict when I first saw it in 1978. https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/E ... nscription

ImageNorth Grimston Lime Cottages 5.7.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
King123
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by King123 »

A very interesting article indeed I like the history and the stories of people who lived near the railway. I take it the cottages have long since gone or are they still there?
Rail Rover
Are you human?: No

Post by Rail Rover »

It's interesting that you've included several tracks, Alan.

The photo clearly shows the double trackbed (top left also), as with most of the M&D, but there's only the one track in front of the cottages :?
Phil Robson
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Rail Rover wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:38 pm It's interesting that you've included several tracks, Alan.

The photo clearly shows the double trackbed (top left also), as with most of the M&D, but there's only the one track in front of the cottages :?
Hi Phil, in the simulation I have used artist's licence to represent the line as it was at various periods, so for instance I have signals at Burdale although they were removed about 1937 and at the quarry I have the track and signals as they were until removed but I have laid them with rusty track indicating they are disused. Think of it as a kind of 3D history lesson!
Edit* BTW I have no info at all on the lime kilns beside Settrington "Tunnel" as I didn't visit them back in the day and all I have is the 1895 OS map. If we have any photos of what is left now I would like to see them. Note when it says "signal box" it simply means a ground frame.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/125632726
This is the OS map for North Grimston quarry. I prefer these 1893 maps because the differentiate between stone/brick buildings (pink) and wood buildings (grey). https://maps.nls.uk/view/125634142