North Grimston station

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
triff
Are you human?: Yes

North Grimston station

Post by triff »

I am building a "oo" model of North Grimston station and desperately need more information especially photos of key locations at the site.In particular I need to: ascertain the location of the level crossing gate on the village side-I have a `layout plan` which shows it to be adjacent the coal drops but not in enough detail to model accurately.
Also the detail around the loading dock area and where the steps were giving access to the coal drops from ground level.
I think I have got all the usual photos that have appeared in books and have spoken to both Warwick Burton (author) and Tony Ross (photographer) and got all available material from the Ken Hoole Centre. Any info- no matter how insignificant it may appear may help me to complete my layout. In anticipation-thanks
AlanL

Re: North Grimston station

Post by AlanL »

I have the (1920?) OS 25" map which I have used in my simulation and could scan it and e-mail it you if you wish. Alternatively the map is available on the East Riding website.
triff

Post by triff »

Thanks for the swift reply Alan-does the map show any detail I could use-I`m not much of a map reader so don`t know what 25inch scale would look like.By the way are you the person responsible for the simulations on this site and if so are you doing a North Grimston one (or have I missed it during my search?!!!!-sorry if I have)-TRIFF
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Hi triff I am responsible for ONE of the simulations - the Sledmere & Fimber one in General Discussion.My fellow Trainzer MasonTaylor is working on custom buildings for the route and here is a general view of North Grimston
http://s974.photobucket.com/albums/ae22 ... trial1.jpg
25" to the mile is basically very large scale. You can measure distances to an accuracy of about 2 feet and the plans show such things as signals and lamp posts.
Here's a link to the Archive Map Viewer - it has never worked for me but it may for you! I visited Beverley Treasure House and got hard copies of the actual maps.
http://www.eastriding.gov.uk/cs/culture ... ps-viewer/
repton
Paid up Member

Post by repton »

I can't help with your request but I'm sure I speak for everyone on here in asking that you post some photos of your work on here for us all to see, even if they are at the moment only work-in-progress ones.

Paul
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

Indeed! It would be great to see the progress!!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
triff

Post by triff »

Hi Alan-thanks for your help-I have just viewed all the simulations and my admiration for the skills of the `constructors` is unbounded! I would just make one small comment-(note the word `comment` and not critiscism) the home signal on the platform end shows both a stop and distant arm and to the best of my knowledge this was only ever a single stop board. I also notice the run of fence line adjacent the `bungalow` and where I think the crossing gate should be-was this from research or an educated guess? I am now going to try download the ordnance survey map you mention-TRIFF
triff

Post by triff »

Alan-sorry to keep pestering you but I can`t seem to get anywhere with the map download so if you could try e-mail me your scanned version that would be great-TRIFF
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Hi triff, as with all models there's a bit of artistic license involved.The signal at NG actually carried a Distant arm worked from North Grimston Quarry ground frame until about 1923, and in fact if you look closely at photos you can see the extra hole for the arm pivot further down the post.Although I have set my simulator at or about the time of closure to passengers I like my signalling so I decided to have the full pre grouping signalling here and at Burdale.
Regarding the fence line I am working from the old OS and obviously such things as fence lines changed quite a bit over the years.That and the fact that although Trainz simulator has a database of 150,000 assets (everything from a dustbin lying on it's side to the Mauretania!) it's often difficult to find an exact match for the things you want. The guy who is making the items for me is doing it free of charge, and for the last couple of months I have been building a new PC so I have done very little work on the simulator and North Grimston and Settrington are fairly basic with little detail outside the station area.
The level crossing gates are something of a problem - they appear to have been standard single span NER gates but unfortunately there's no exact match for them on the Trainz database.
Another little problem is the NG goods dock - it has been removed and it is difficult to see exactly how it matched up with the station approach road.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Sorry triff, missed your last post - PM me your e-mail addy and I'll get it off to you.