Developing Fimber Halt

g.89
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Developing Fimber Halt

Post by g.89 »

Developing Fimber Halt 2021.docx
This document has been produced to give you some idea of the developments planned for Fimber Halt
(16.65 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
By Alan Cooper
andybat48
Paid up Member

Re: Developing Fimber Halt

Post by andybat48 »

This is quite a good report, Alan. I think as much as anyone else that being able to extend field one seems the key to whatever happens next as we do need more space for car parking, which is something that we are running rather short of due to the railway expanding like it is. I would like to be back on site as soon as it is physically possible to sort outthe garden. I am hopefully going to be growing some bedding plants. It is just a little too early for some of the seed to be sown just yet and a little too cold as well. But I saved the seed of some plants last year, so the seed ain't going to cost anything. Hopefully by next month things will warm up a bit and plants will start growing again and Hopefully I might have had my first jab of the vacine.
chalkie
Paid up Member

Post by chalkie »

I am hearing of a idea that may involve using the containers and raising land either side of siding and putting some kind of roof system between the two containers or similar design, this would involve raising the ground level either side of tracks, filling in the six foot, creating bunds to stop the fill mixing with ballast (unless 1000's of pounds is spent filling with ballast)

Is this a realistic plan or just something that has been mentioned which has no prospect of becoming a reality.

Its concerning if this is a proposal that is being seriously considered as it will cause the site to look more like a industrial estate than a heritage railway (which is what our Website says we are)

Can someone who knows pls come forward and explain what this is and if its being seriously considered.

It probably would be better if time was spent answering the question, how do we give Fimber halt a better look and a more heritage feel for the era that was or is being tried to recreate.
🙋‍♂️
jael
Charities Director
Are you human?: No

Post by jael »

Perhaps the people considering/proposing this would like to put plans/costing in the public domain. Otherwise things always get blown out out of all proportion with rumours flying everywhere.

The roofing between the containers was first suggested by George V some five or six years ago.
John Lidster
Charities Director
chalkie
Paid up Member

Post by chalkie »

Agree john, it why the question is being asked.
🙋‍♂️
menticknap
Paid up Member

Post by menticknap »

The idea of using containers as walls to shed fills me with horror. This structure would be directly in the publics eye and would be an eyesore.
I cannot believe this has been considered.

What are YWR plans for the immediate future?
I seem to think that I ask this question every year.....
Onwards and upwards.
g.89
Paid up Member

Post by g.89 »

This topic is certainly attracting some very emotive replies!

This 'structure' was discovered by one of our latest members who is keen to offer his extensive knowledge and experience in heritage railways. He emailed it to me a few weeks ago as a possible solution to the problem of lack of covered workplace on site. He recognised that 'there may not be an obvious location at Fimber...' It was just a suggestion and is a far more affordable solution than a building.

I forwarded this email to a director who in turn forwarded it to another. I think it may have been mentioned at last weeks directors meeting.

As far as I am aware there is no firm plan to adopt this suggestion.

Once again we have discussion on this forum that to me , 'demands' a contribution from the appropriate director and yet again no such contribution appears.

Come on Directors, put your 2 penneth worth in!
By Alan Cooper
jael
Charities Director
Are you human?: No

Post by jael »

My first thoughts are as Matthew says. But as I said above it is wrong to agree or disagree with anything until you have the full story. It was mentioned in passing at the board meeting.
John Lidster
Charities Director