Church Lane Crossing Kellythorpe

Please take time to post a message about your memories of the Malton to Driffield railway. No matter how small they are, it is always great to hear stories from the past.
ER44MW
Are you human?: Yes

Church Lane Crossing Kellythorpe

Post by ER44MW »

Evenibg everyone i hope that your all well.

I was out on my bike the other exploring my new neck of the woods and i went down church Lane off the industriail estate at Kelly Thorpe and noticed the path of the old line and crossing keeprs cottage.

Been intrested i then looked on some old maps and noticed that there was a siding. Does anybody know what this siding was used for and why it was here and if there are any photos of it?

An update on my wetwang layout while we wait for our house purchase to go through it has all been boxed up and put into storage. I have built 90% of the buildings and the track but now need the model room 😂

Any information on thia crossing and siding would be greatly appreciated.

I. Hope your all well kind regards

Ed :)
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Re: Church Lane Crossing Kellythorpe

Post by 4008 »

I too would love to see photographs of this!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
ER44MW
Are you human?: Yes

Post by ER44MW »

Alright Matt

I know im intregued what was it used for that siding? It doesn't show much on the maps

Im guessing there are none 😂
jael
Charities Director
Are you human?: No

Post by jael »

It was known as the manure siding.
John Lidster
Charities Director
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

There's actually no siding shown at Little Driffield on the 1893 https://maps.nls.uk/view/125636047 map but it is on the 1925 map https://maps.nls.uk/view/125636017
I would love to see a photo of it to find out whether it had a loading dock.BTW on the 1893 map note you can see Driffield Inner signalbox and the double track to Driffield West.

Seen at the Malton railwayana auction 1989

ImageBainton Road And Kellythorpe Boxboards 1989 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
jael
Charities Director

Post by jael »

Given that it was called the manure siding I don't know if this is any relevance or not but towards the end of WW1 there was a collection of sidings and a narrow gauge railway built on what is now Driffield showfield to build the new aerodrome at Kelleythorpe. Obviously these came off the Market Weighton line rather than the Malton one but is very near as the crow flies. It is possible, though I must admit unlikely, that this siding was put in at the same time so if anything came down from Malton it could be unloaded there rather than having to go into Driffield and out again.
John Lidster
Charities Director

Post by 4008 »

A Kelleythorpe sign is attached to the rugby clubhouse which appeared soon after work started on the old crossing keepers cottage.

May I ask where the Bainton Road sign was located? I assume somewhere near Bainton?
Matthew Brown
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

4008 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:31 pm A Kelleythorpe sign is attached to the rugby clubhouse which appeared soon after work started on the old crossing keepers cottage.

May I ask where the Bainton Road sign was located? I assume somewhere near Bainton?
Hi Matthew I am a bit rusty on the Driffield - Market Weighton line as my one attempt to walk it in 1977 had to be abandoned due to the terrible hayfever I had in the glorious summer that year. I believe Bainton Road box was the place marked Bainton Gatehouse between Bainton and Middleton On The Wolds station.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/125637802

Edit* I just looked at Bainton station on Disused Stations and he has a nice photo of a Bainton luggage barrow at Driffield station in 1971 !

http://disused-stations.org.uk/b/bainton/index3.shtml
jael
Charities Director

Post by jael »

It was there Alan but colloquially was always called Bainton Gates. One of the many that used to cause holdups for cars going to the coast on a summer weekend.
John Lidster
Charities Director

Post by 4008 »

Ah! Super. Thanks!
Matthew Brown