Trainz Simulator

AlanL

Re: Trainz Simulator

Post by AlanL »

jael wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:22 pm I can’t remember much about the the narrow gauge, it’s years since I read the book. Presumably it went all the way to Eastburn, beyond the new airfield and on the opposite side of the road. The only reason I can think is that the sidings that were built were 2 or 3 and may even have had a loop. If they needed that then they must have thought the little siding at Little Driffield wasn’t big enough. Plus materials may have come from the south or west riding or somewhere which would have easier access through Market Weighton straight onto the sidings without any shuffling about.
But the MoD could do whatever they wanted so it wouldn't be difficult to lay in new sidings. However from looking at a lot of RAF airfields it seems that few if any had sidings even when they were close to railways for some unknown reason. I used to volunteer on the Wensleydale Railway and they had a wartime MoD control office on the platform at Bedale but sadly they demolished it. There was a building diagonally opposite Little Driffield gatekeepers cottage and I still want to identify it if we ever get photos.
jael
Charities Director
Are you human?: No

Post by jael »

I have just got hold of the engineers plans for M & D in 1918 and there is no building shown there. Either it wasn’t there in in 1918 or not directly related to the railway. What it does show is two ground frames between the crossing and the siding, one each side of the track. Presumably one to do with the actual crossing operation and one to do with the sidings, just seems odd why they couldn’t be combined.
John Lidster
Charities Director
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

jael wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:54 am I have just got hold of the engineers plans for M & D in 1918 and there is no building shown there. Either it wasn’t there in in 1918 or not directly related to the railway. What it does show is two ground frames between the crossing and the siding, one each side of the track. Presumably one to do with the actual crossing operation and one to do with the sidings, just seems odd why they couldn’t be combined.
This is the 1928 OS map which shows the building. It's L shaped 20 feet by 20 feet and is inside the railway boundary fence.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/125636017
It didn't appear on the 1893 map but is shown from 1910 till 1956.
Not sure about the lever frames but at some places there would be a lever to allow use of a lever frame by the train crew instead of the signalman but that's unlikely at such a backwater as Little Driffield.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Here is a tour round the airfield (WIP) followed by a couple of circuits with a Gloster Meteor which were the first jet aircraft and were used at RAF Driffield. Please give the video a Like if you like it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBksUDK4TAE
andybat48
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by andybat48 »

Another great video Alan.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

andybat48 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:27 am Another great video Alan.
Thanks Andy ! My latest project has been to model Kirkburn village as it is on the flight path to RAF Driffield. Here is a shot from Monday with a Google Earth image pasted onto a 1 kilometre baseboard which I mainly use to lay the roads.

ImageKirkburn Village 3.7.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

4 days later is more or less complete with a Gloster Meteor approaching the distant runway. Note* As always the buildings are the nearest I could find to the actual buildings. Also I have based this on the 1952 OS map so houses built after 1952 are not included.

ImageKirkburn Village 7.7.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

A Messerschmitt BF 109 and a Spitfire from RAF Driffield have a mini dogfight over Garton station as the stationmaster checks the price of a single ticket to Berlin for the pilot.

ImageDogfight Over Garton Station 8.7.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

My latest job is to build Wharram village and this shows the Google Earth image pasted onto a 1 kilometre baseboard. I use the Google Earth image from 2003 because it removes 19 years of tree growth and housebuilding.

ImageWharram Village 9.7.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Progress on Wharram is slow so here is 62743 The Cleveland passing Wetwang with a return excursion from Filey and Brid. The bus is driveable so I have laid a loop of invisible track round Wetwang village.

ImageThe Cleveland at Wetwang 14.7.22 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
menticknap
Paid up Member

Post by menticknap »

Please could I have a simulation of a 1963 turquoise VW Beetle and a late 60's brown Rover waiting at Fimber and Sledmere level crossing. ;)
Last edited by menticknap on Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Onwards and upwards.