Trainz Simulator

AlanL

Trainz Simulator

Post by AlanL »

Hello everybody, after a several year absence I have rejoined the YWR and I have also dug my unfinished M&DR simulation out of the cellar and set about finishing it. I have a few questions about parts of the line as well, hopefully you may help it more accurate.
First shot is A3 class Trigo at Burdale hauling an excursion back from Bridlington to Edinburgh.

ImageA3 Trigo at Burdale Station 2020.07.03 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

Second shot is Little Driffield with the airfield in the distance.

ImageLittle Driffield Trainz Simulator 9.2020 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

So, the first 2 questions.
1) On the 1926 OS there is a building diametrically opposite the Little Driffield crossing keepers house. Does anyone know what it looked like and when it disappeared ?
2) Was there a loading dock at Little Driffield ?

Thanks in advance !
King123
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Re: Trainz Simulator

Post by King123 »

Wow these rains simulator looks really good amazing well done, must have taken quite a long time to do I guess? The attention to details is brilliant.
On of the railway previous member Tony Page I believe did the whole of the Malton Driffield railway line on his computer, but sadly Tony is no longer with us.
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

Hello Alan

Good to hear from you. You may have already seen this, but here is a copy of the track diagram for Little Driffield which matches your already excellent simulation.

I am sorry, but I can't help on the smaller building. Good spot on the map though.

Is that from these - https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... ht=BingHyb
Attachments
663.jpg
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Thanks very much King123 and very sad to hear Tony is no longer with us.

4008, yes I am mainly relying on the OS maps from the NLS website which I don't think was up when I started building the line. A funny fact is that Driffield Airfield isn't shown on the 1960s maps, probably due to the nuclear missiles they had there.
Garton Baulk is one place I had to do from imagination as I can't find any photos anywhere. I may try and persuade or pay one of the guys who create signals for the simulator to do a revolving board gate signal.

ImageGarton Baulk M&DR TRS19 10.7.20 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
andybat48
Paid up Member

Post by andybat48 »

These are great. And looking at the map as using the link provided, it is amazing how you can follow the line in realtime as well. It is amazing how from the air you can still trace the line across the fields after all these years. And from the Garton photo I can just picture the train from the first photo thundering through the crossing.
jael
Charities Director
Are you human?: No

Post by jael »

Hello Alan - there is a picture of Garton on p51 in quiz of the day, just the cottage tho'.
John Lidster
Charities Director
chalkie
Paid up Member

Post by chalkie »

Tony shared a video of his model of sledmere fimber done in the simulator, if you have social media i can share it
🙋‍♂️
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

I seem to recall him showing it at one of the AAGM ‘s? Or was it a previous model railway show, it was very impressive to say the least. Clever bloke such a sad loss!
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

jael wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:47 pm Hello Alan - there is a picture of Garton on p51 in quiz of the day, just the cottage tho'.
Fabulous, just what I was looking for. Great detail and see it had a little lever frame too.

Chalkie, is this the simulation you meant ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKkIHrGSrmk
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

One of the tough bits with the simulator is that although it has 510,000 "assets" - everything from a dustbin to a full sized model of Newcastle station - it's hard to find exact matches for many items. So when I last did anything with it in 2013 I was using an American grain silo for the Wharram chalk silo ! It looked horrible so I decided to try a bit of "kit bashing" and make my own. You can use "splines" which are stretchy objects so I used a spline of dirty concrete wall but as it was only 15 metres high I had to stack them on top of each other. I worked the height out by scaling it from the YWR photo of Wharram station and using a "known height" ie the opening for the trains. While doing research I found that there are still a number of concrete grain silos which were clearly built by the same company due to the styling. My first attempt took about 4 hours then I decided the room at the top was too tall so I had to rip it apart and rebuild it ! I have fitted it up so that it actually loads chalk into the wagons.
The first photo is the silo in Build Mode with each yellow line representing a spline. I can't do the ancillary buildings yet because they are submerged in vegetation and I can't find any decent photos.

ImageWharram Chalk Silo Construction 2020.07.04 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

ImageWharram Chalk Silo (2) Trainz 2019 2020.07.03 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr