Wharram Percy Infrastructure

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
Michael H
Are you human?: Yes

Wharram Percy Infrastructure

Post by Michael H »

Morning all,

Firstly, I am new to the forums but have a fascination on local history including the old railways lines that passed through the area. Once this COVID-19 pandemic is over, I plan on heading down to Fimber with my little lad and meet the YWR team (and have a ride on your train).

On Friday, I revisited Wharram Percy for an explore of the infrastructure between Burdale tunnel on Wharram station. The part fascinated me the most was the old lime silo. As I didn’t have the little lad with me, I found a small path that led through the tress and to the silo. It’s a shame this has been left to deteriorate as it’s a part of local history.

The link to my photos can be found here:

https://flickr.com/photos/141230775@N02 ... 4411786912
King123
Paid up Member

Re: Wharram Percy Infrastructure

Post by King123 »

I’ve been down there a couple of times it’s a strange spooky eiry place to say the least! At one of the railway AGM’ s I suggested that we have an information sign for walkers visitor erected near the entry to the Wharram Percy medieval village. Telling visitors about the railway line and tunnel. And the old stone crushing plant located nearby.
As it’s all to do with our heritage of the area and I’m sure , many people would be interested. A sign information board could be put on the medieval village site entrance.
Maybe the railway or a member could get in touch with the relevant people of English Heritage and see if we can get permission to do this. And if our railway gets more visitors to our railway, then surely it isn’t a bad thing, I’d be willing to help out to do this if allowed.
menticknap
Paid up Member

Post by menticknap »

Wow. Cracking photos.
It's unfortunate that our railway will not get through the tunnel. Our line running through the trees and making a feature of the stone crushing site would be fantastic.
Ah. We can but dream.
Onwards and upwards.
andybat48
Paid up Member

Post by andybat48 »

These are a great set of photos of this building. It is a shame it is just left for nature to destroy it. I just wonder how much it would cost in reality to restore and what would you use it for. as it is out of the way of being staffed for any visitors. It really would be nice if the line was to pass through there someday.
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

Ok let’s put it this way” never say never” as anything is achievable with enough money, and willing volunteers manpower. And above all the right attitude to do this, but to be fair it will cost a few million to repair the tunnel as it’s in a very bad way.
But it’s nothing that cannot be achieved.
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

Great photos! Thank you for sharing. Just incase anyone hasn't seen this, it's great footage! https://youtu.be/dyXtfjlAigY
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
andybat48
Paid up Member

Post by andybat48 »

This is a great video, Matthew. It is nice to see that at least some video is finally coming to light of our old line.
Michael H

Post by Michael H »

Evening all.
It's been a while since I last posted (apologies) but a few weeks ago, I set out on a long run and covered part of the line between Wharram Station and Wharram Percy. As you already know, there are some buildings along the line but access is a little sketchy with the nettles and brambles. When I ran past here, I noticed the vegetation wasn't too bad so I took a little detour to explore some of the other areas of the loading area, grabbing some pictures along the way.

I have uploaded these photos to my Yorkshire Wolds Railway album here:
https://flickr.com/photos/141230775@N02 ... 4411786912
jael
Charities Director
Are you human?: No

Post by jael »

And we now have the model of the silo etc. on display in the coach.
John Lidster
Charities Director
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

Good to see you back!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director