Burdale Photo

Please take time to post a message about your memories of the Malton to Driffield railway. No matter how small they are, it is always great to hear stories from the past.
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Re: Burdale Photo

Post by AndyB »

AndyB wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:08 pm
AlanL wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:43 pm This photo I have never seen before is for sale on Ebay. It's fairly early maybe 1920s as the lever frame still has its wooden hut.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOTO-BURDAL ... Sw3s9cQ2Zl
Alan, I have the albumen original for this photo and another one with the Stationmaster and his family, I suspect the Ebay image has somehow originated from my photo after I shared it online a while back. I think it is about 1905 - 1910 and I believe the lad is Vincent Moate, eldest son of stationmaster Benjamin Moate, Vincent died in 1919 after contracting malaria in the First World War and was buried in North Grimston churchyard with a very fine memorial.

Andy

Burdale Station r.jpg
IMG_4097r.jpg
andybat48
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by andybat48 »

Glad you said this because I have never seen this photo before and nearly bought it. There are quite a few of this railway line that are from the likes of the archives that I have seen here recently.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

AlanL wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:43 pm This photo I have never seen before is for sale on Ebay. It's fairly early maybe 1920s as the lever frame still has its wooden hut.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOTO-BURDAL ... Sw3s9cQ2Zl
Alan, I have the albumen original for this photo and another one with the Stationmaster and his family, I suspect the Ebay image has somehow originated from my photo after I shared it online a while back. I think it is about 1905 - 1910 and I believe the lad is Vincent Moate, eldest son of stationmaster Benjamin Moate, Vincent died in 1919 after contracting malaria in the First World War and was buried in North Grimston churchyard with a very fine memorial.

Andy

Burdale Station r.jpg

IMG_4097r.jpg
Andy, I used to know the Ebay seller of those photos and once visited his house and found him to be mildly eccentric. I guess he is about 75 now and a lot of the photos he is selling appear to be scanned from books. On the one hand he claims that the photos have no known photographer and yet later claims that you don't get publishing rights ! I though he had posted one of my photos but it turned out to be just very similar. I think he will get his fingers burnt eventually.
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

He is selling a photo that is clearly marked "copyright Yorkshire Wolds Railway" with the corresponding logo, and then stating in later text that copyright is unknown!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
chalkie
Paid up Member

Post by chalkie »

Have you sent him a message Matthew or reported to ebay
🙋‍♂️
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Here's an interesting Burdale related photo. Sold a year ago, £460 for the pair. I'm glad I don't collect railwayana any more.

jael
Charities Director
Are you human?: No

Post by jael »

These were actually bought by a member, Alan, and we had them on permanent loan for most of last season. I don't know but I don't think they will be coming back as apparently our insurance doesn't cover items on loan. It seems they would not be covered by his household insurance as we are classed as commercial.

It does seem, though, that anything connected with M&D seems to carry a premium.
John Lidster
Charities Director
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

The railwayana auction was GWRA (run by Simon Turner) he is an excellent man to deal with and plenty of knowledge of railwayana items. I’ve spoken to him a few times on phone and I would definitely recommend him he is a good genuine bloke!
Coincidentally I did see another cash bag ( Burdale ) sell for £160 it was on the salesroom .com June 2016 . But I can’t remember the auction house company. The Malton & Driffield junction railway items are “ rare as hen teeth” and getting hard to find these days!
I’ve got the cash bag (BR eastern region ) for Coxwold and once I got it home treated it with saddle soap to treat the leather.
andybat48
Paid up Member

Post by andybat48 »

This guy on e-bay has several photos belonging to our railway Matthew. He has at least 4 possibly 5 of Burdale station and the quarry. By the time I got to page 10, I got sick of looking. I do think he needs seeing to legally of coarse.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

"The railwayana auction was GWRA (run by Simon Turner) he is an excellent man to deal with and plenty of knowledge of railwayana items. I’ve spoken to him a few times on phone and I would definitely recommend him he is a good genuine bloke!
Coincidentally I did see another cash bag ( Burdale ) sell for £160 it was on the salesroom .com June 2016 . But I can’t remember the auction house company. The Malton & Driffield junction railway items are “ rare as hen teeth” and getting hard to find these days!
I’ve got the cash bag (BR eastern region ) for Coxwold and once I got it home treated it with saddle soap to treat the leather."

I know Simon Turner of old. Once I was at the Quorn railwayana car boot sale, probably 22 years ago. Simon sidled up to me and asked for my opinion on a lamp he had just bought.
I went over and there it was, an NER platform lamp with "BURDALE" name on the glass. I grimaced and he asked what was wrong ? "Well" I replied "It looks like an NER lamp but it's the wrong type for Burdale as the NER had 8 different styles of lamp. It is painted inside over fresh putty. As for the lamp glass, real ones were either etched blue glass or spray painted through a stencil onto the front. This is one has Letraset letters stuck on inside with oil paint painted over them". "How much did you pay for it ?" He replied £200". I said "Well that should have started alarm bells. The NER owned over 500 stations and Burdale is one of the top 3 collectable ones - you never see railwayana from there. If this was real it would be in the Malton or Sheffield auctions and it would be a thousand quid or close. I would HAVE to have it"..
In a nutshell he had bought it from a rascal in Hull who liked to knock up forgeries. He got his money back.
As for the cash bags about 25 years ago (god I am old) a friend took me to see an old collector in York called Alf Wilson. Alf was into the M&DR and had driven his car through Burdale Tunnel back in the day. He let us look through his egg box full of cash bags, maybe a hundred or more. Then he showed us his garage full of hardware including a brass lever description board from the M&D which I think may have been this one
https://bid.tennants.co.uk/m/lot-detail ... lot/456866
I think the idea was that I could make him cash offers for the things but like most collectors I like to get things as cheap as possible but on the other hand I didn't want to rob him so I left empty handed.