Burdale Photo

Please take time to post a message about your memories of the Malton to Driffield railway. No matter how small they are, it is always great to hear stories from the past.
AlanL

Re: Burdale Photo

Post by AlanL »

King123 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:13 pm Here is my H Pooley and sons weighting machine , I can’t prove that this weighing machine was ever used at a railway station as I have no provenance. But, ..... the north eastern railway did use H Pooley and son weighing machines!
I used to own one exactly like that which I bought at British Rail Collectors Corner in 1978 and had it fetched up home by Red Star Parcels as it was more than I could carry ! I repainted it in apple green with a red spandrel and sold it at the Malton auction about 10 years ago. It wasn't uncommon for railway machines to be missing their brass numberplates as these are collectors items in their own right. If yours used to have such a plate there would probably be a couple of empty screwholes on the right side of the column near the top ?

PS terry, here's the photo with the sleeper fence download/file.php?id=2030&mode=view
King123
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by King123 »

Hello Alan, I’m unsure about the screw holes but as you and I can see there is a brass plate I’ll have another look tomorrow. I paid £50:00 for the weighing machine at Eskdale antiques a few months ago. It’s a shame it’s got the top finial is missing that goes on the top but that’s life I guess!
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

King123 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:23 pm Hello Alan, I’m unsure about the screw holes but as you and I can see there is a brass plate I’ll have another look tomorrow. I paid £50:00 for the weighing machine at Eskdale antiques a few months ago. It’s a shame it’s got the top finial is missing that goes on the top but that’s life I guess!
Mine had one brass plate with the Pooley name and another with the BR(E) number and I found the Pooley records somewhere (I forget) and found it was from a station on the Joint line near Peterborough. £50 was a bargain as I paid £25 for mine in 1978 which is £145 in todays money. I will find a photo and post it tomorrow. The finial was just a cast iron disc with a rod and you stacked the weights on the rod.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

This photo I have never seen before is for sale on Ebay. It's fairly early maybe 1920s as the lever frame still has its wooden hut.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOTO-BURDAL ... Sw3s9cQ2Zl
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

I believe I’ve seen this picture before? It’s an unusual trolley its surely can’t be an NER trolley or not? maybe I’m totally wrong!
As I’ve got an NER trolley with the big metal hoop at front ,but the wheels on mine have got six spokes and two wooden legs at the back. Then curved wood pieces from top of the frames down to the legs. I’d be curious as to know what happened to the Burdale trolley maybe it got scrapped or it might be preserved somewhere?
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

King123 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:59 pm I believe I’ve seen this picture before? It’s an unusual trolley its surely can’t be an NER trolley or not? maybe I’m totally wrong!
As I’ve got an NER trolley with the big metal hoop at front ,but the wheels on mine have got six spokes and two wooden legs at the back. Then curved wood pieces from top of the frames down to the legs. I’d be curious as to know what happened to the Burdale trolley maybe it got scrapped or it might be preserved somewhere?
There were a few differences between trolleys but like most of them this has the name painted on it. A former friend used to know Craig Donald the owner of Viz magazine and Craig had a theory that most railwayana was within 2 miles of where it came from. My bet would be that if it survived it would be in the farm nearby. Mind you , I went to Bedale station in 1978 and snapped a photo of a trolley painted "Potto Pass" and Potto station closed 24 years earlier ! I scoured Burdale station in 1978 and couldn't find anything, even in the hole where the lever frame was.

ImageBurdale Station [9] 20.5.78 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

There is a NER trolley partly restored ! on site at Fimber at the railway. I thoroughly descaled all the wheels and metal frame work a few months ago.
It’s now awaiting attention for the wood work as it all needs replacing the old original it had is very rotten and riddled in wood worm etc! I said to Alan cooper and two others they could have Look at my trolley I have At home to get measurement to copy to make new parts. Ed Hague very kindly got some drawings to help, us make new parts etc.
terryt
Paid up Member

Post by terryt »

Thanks for the photo showing the sleeper fencing at the dock the mystery just deepens! - the loco carries a reporting no. so.obviously a special so someone should be abe to give the date most likely 1957/8?
Why would BR spend all that money on a sturdy fence when surely the writing was on the wall for the lne? Was there a short lived certain type of traffic that emerged to or from Burdale to justify it? On the fabulous photo showing the dock siding partially truncated the fencing isn't there but yet it is about the same date????
Is there a anyone alive who had first hand knowledge about the station I wonder. What a fantastic project to interview an old railway hand and "loop," the recording of it in the display carriage at Sledmere.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

terryt wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:33 am Thanks for the photo showing the sleeper fencing at the dock the mystery just deepens! - the loco carries a reporting no. so.obviously a special so someone should be abe to give the date most likely 1957/8?
Why would BR spend all that money on a sturdy fence when surely the writing was on the wall for the lne? Was there a short lived certain type of traffic that emerged to or from Burdale to justify it? On the fabulous photo showing the dock siding partially truncated the fencing isn't there but yet it is about the same date????
Is there a anyone alive who had first hand knowledge about the station I wonder. What a fantastic project to interview an old railway hand and "loop," the recording of it in the display carriage at Sledmere.
The photo of the B1 is from this thread viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2004&hilit=b1+at+north+grimston
and it was hauling an inspection saloon
I went to a YWR meeting in about 2014 and there was a gentleman there who was the son of the last stationmaster and he gave us his recollections of life at the station in the 1950s. It was fascinating. He said they used to have a roaring coal fire in the waiting room and play darts.
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Post by AndyB »

AlanL wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:43 pm This photo I have never seen before is for sale on Ebay. It's fairly early maybe 1920s as the lever frame still has its wooden hut.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOTO-BURDAL ... Sw3s9cQ2Zl
Alan, I have the albumen original for this photo and another one with the Stationmaster and his family, I suspect the Ebay image has has somehow originated from my photo after I shared it online a while back. I think it is about 1905 - 1910 and I believe the lad is Vincent Moate, eldest son of stationmaster Benjamin Moate, Vincent died in 1919 after contracting malaria in the First World War and was buried in North Grimston churchyard with a very fine memorial.

Andy

Burdale Station r.jpg
IMG_4097r.jpg