Burdale Photo

Please take time to post a message about your memories of the Malton to Driffield railway. No matter how small they are, it is always great to hear stories from the past.
andybat48
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Re: Burdale Photo

Post by andybat48 »

This would have been a nice purchase for the railway when we got to build the signal box again. I wish I had known about it back then. I like to think I would have had it.
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

Hello Alan L , I’m planning to go to Quorn railwayana swapmeet in September 6 th , it’s ace I try not to miss it.
I’ve got to know quite a few dealers about 10 now I would say, and there are quite a lot of private sellers to. Incidentally I have two NER lamp tops al complete and totally genuine.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

King123 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:40 pm Hello Alan L , I’m planning to go to Quorn railwayana swapmeet in September 6 th , it’s ace I try not to miss it.
I’ve got to know quite a few dealers about 10 now I would say, and there are quite a lot of private sellers to. Incidentally I have two NER lamp tops al complete and totally genuine.
They probably are genuine but back in the day any M&DR items were so rare that I was extremely sceptical about their provenance. You could sometimes pick up a crusty old NER lamp at the Malton auction (Thirsk auctions have taken on their business) for say £30 then a nice lamp glass for maybe £20. Put the glass in the lamp and you had a £200 lamp. BTW if you ever go round the cloisters at Durham Cathedral most of the lamps there are old NER lamps - they have the framing for the name glass.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

I've just bought the 2004 DVD by Cinerail called "East Yorkshire" steam featuring the work of Frank Dean and it may have been mentioned before but it has some colour footage at Driffield in 1965 then shows us the front door of Sledmere & Fimber station (in the undergrowth), then footage from Frank's car as he drives up to the south portal of Burdale tunnel. I wonder if Frank shot any more M&DR footage ?
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Post by AndyB »

I definitely need to see that , Alan!

Andy
andybat48
Paid up Member

Post by andybat48 »

I have the East Yorkshire Steam too. I bought it on VHS and the guy who sold it also copied it to DVD. It is good, but I found it a little disappointing as he did not cover the Hornsea and Withernsea line, not even a mention of either of them. I kind of expected a little more on our line than he actually did.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

andybat48 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:09 pm I have the East Yorkshire Steam too. I bought it on VHS and the guy who sold it also copied it to DVD. It is good, but I found it a little disappointing as he did not cover the Hornsea and Withernsea line, not even a mention of either of them. I kind of expected a little more on our line than he actually did.
Yes it's probably an offence under the Trade Descriptions act. 75% of it is the NYMR although it is still useful to me as it gives me ideas for the simulator.
andybat48
Paid up Member

Post by andybat48 »

That may be so Alan, but the photos I have seen are also available on our forum or website without spendi9ng money. Matthew may have more in his archive too.

Andy Batty
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

It would be interesting to know what happened to the rest of Frank Deans footage though. How much, for instance , did he shoot along the course of the M&DR ?
I'm also curious to know what happened to the Booking Office sign from the door of S&F station as it had gone by the time I first visited it in 1976.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

To save starting another thread I thought I would post this question here. When I am researching for the simulator I go over every photo I can find with a magnifying glass in case I can find useful detail. So, on page 25 of Warwick Burtons book there is a photo of North Grimston station. But what caught my eye was that on the left there is some sort of vehicle which appears to be parked on the loading dock line. It looks to me like a track gauging vehicle as there appears to be a small pair of wheels on a bar behind it. But what on earth would something like that be doing on a line which was only a short time from closure ? I often wondered whether any diesels ever ventured onto the M&DR and although I know next to nothing about track vehicles it has got me really interested.