Burdale Photo

Please take time to post a message about your memories of the Malton to Driffield railway. No matter how small they are, it is always great to hear stories from the past.
terryt
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Re: Burdale Photo

Post by terryt »

I have always wondered what the two tall slender structures were in front of the shed and the suggestion of a water tank to replenish the quarry tank makes perfect sense.The mystery is though,where did the metal water tank go????? With regards the cattle or horse dock adjacent to it either the dock platform wasn 't fully enclosed as more usual practice or some of the fencing had fallen over/rotted away by the time of the photo.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

I've updated the quarry today and it now has its own 2 foot narrow gauge tracks as per Warwick Burton's book. I have done the best I could with the loading ramps but it was hard to get much detail off the photo.

ImageBurdale Quarry (2) TRS19 16.7.20 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr

The loading dock now has a gunpowder van waiting to be unloaded. I got lucky and found a water tank exactly right on the Trainz Download Station.

ImageBurdale Quarry (1) TRS19 16.7.20 by A1 Northeastern, on Flickr
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

terryt wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:24 pm I have always wondered what the two tall slender structures were in front of the shed and the suggestion of a water tank to replenish the quarry tank makes perfect sense.The mystery is though,where did the metal water tank go????? With regards the cattle or horse dock adjacent to it either the dock platform wasn 't fully enclosed as more usual practice or some of the fencing had fallen over/rotted away by the time of the photo.
Hi Terry , I guess the water tank went for scrap ? There used to be a big concrete sign beside the tunnel portal saying "H - Y" which was used to denote the boundary between Hull maintenance area and York maintenance area. It's hard to imagine how it was removed because it was solid, heavy concrete.One of Matthews photos showed that the dock nearest the bridge had a sleeper fence round it and the dock near the quarry had a 3 bar wooden fence round it. Obviously the sleeper fence disappeared by the 1950s.
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

I think I have a photo of the HY sign somewhere as well if you would like to see it?
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

4008 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:26 pm I think I have a photo of the HY sign somewhere as well if you would like to see it?
Yes please ! I think they are something like 9 feet tall out of the ground. BTW I have started uploading my M&DR photos back to Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155871599@N08/
Will

Post by Will »

There's a concrete H/Y sign at Seamer Junction too :-)
terryt
Paid up Member

Post by terryt »

Hi Alan-the use of the two docks is intriguing as the 1958 photo clearly shows the "quarry end" dock with fencing typical for unloading of livestock. If it was for unloading goods such as gunpowder of other quarry materials the fencing would be in the way surely? If it was for livestock though why it should be furthest away from the station and goods yard is a mystery. I havn't seen the photo of the goods dock near the bridge with fencing.How do I get a copy of that? One other intriguing question is did the hut in the station yard have a weighbridge as it seems extravagant when there definitely was one at the more distant coal yard!-Terry
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

terryt wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:23 pm Hi Alan-the use of the two docks is intriguing as the 1958 photo clearly shows the "quarry end" dock with fencing typical for unloading of livestock. If it was for unloading goods such as gunpowder of other quarry materials the fencing would be in the way surely? If it was for livestock though why it should be furthest away from the station and goods yard is a mystery. I havn't seen the photo of the goods dock near the bridge with fencing.How do I get a copy of that? One other intriguing question is did the hut in the station yard have a weighbridge as it seems extravagant when there definitely was one at the more distant coal yard!-Terry
Hi Terry, I just used the quarry loading dock for the gunpowder van for photographic purposes ie to get it in the photo.. I think the photo of the dock with the sleeper fence can be provided by Matthew but in fact I just noticed that on the 1958 photo under a magnifying glass the dock still has a sleeper fence at the road bridge end. The hut opposite the station may have had a weighbridge in the early days but by the time of the Burdale plan I posted it certainly didn't have. Weighing machines were normally maintained by the companies who made them (usually Pooley) and I seem to remember the NER had a book which listed them all and their capacity.
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

Hello Alan , the NER railway did use the H Pooley and sons weighing machine this framed item of mine I got of my very good friend Nick Gerrard ( railwayana dealer). I was told it was more than likely used in stations.
Incidentally I also have a small H Pooley and sons small weighing machine in lovely condition just need shot blasting and repainting some time!
Attachments
FDA9A4AD-472F-40E4-B549-9A2991E5B851.jpeg
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

Here is my H Pooley and sons weighting machine , I can’t prove that this weighing machine was ever used at a railway station as I have no provenance. But, ..... the north eastern railway did use H Pooley and son weighing machines!
Attachments
FD43B43A-E610-4D78-A3B6-7DA7217E1766.jpeg