Some bridges have survived, some have not

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
Rail Rover
Finance and Legal Director
Are you human?: No

Re: Some bridges have survived, some have not

Post by Rail Rover »

As far as I know it was a brick arch. I remember seeing a slipped brick almost falling out of the arch a year or so before it came down.
Phil Robson
Finance and Legal Director
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Oh dear. I have just ripped my brick arch apart and replaced it with a girder.... :cry:
MikeE
Paid up Member

Post by MikeE »

Burdale station bridge was bridge 16 not 17 Alan and it was a brick arch removed about 1983ish
Attachments
Malton & Driffield Photos (139).jpg
Malton & Driffield Photos (139).jpg (34.47 KiB) Viewed 10624 times
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Many thanks for that Mike! I had a feeling you might have a photo. Regarding the number of the bridge......well look at the NER siding diagram.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2598/382 ... a873_b.jpg

It's very clearly marked "Bridge 17". :?:
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Post by AndyB »

It looks like the brickwork and cappings had some serious work carried out along with the removal of the arch, in order to maintain the integrity of the abuttments. And thats probably why the abuttments look like they were originally intended for a steel decked bridge.
Attachments
IMG_2529A.jpg
IMG_2529A.jpg (41.74 KiB) Viewed 10619 times
MikeE
Paid up Member

Post by MikeE »

Strange about the bridge number Alan, I had the bridge plate from the recently removed bridge abutments at Wharram station, no 14 (I picked it up from the cinders about 30 years ago) my station diagram shows the bridge near Wharram Percy as number 15 then the tunnel and Bridge 16 at Burdale, then there are the 2 cattle creeps under the line east of Burdale (17 & 18) then bridge 19 between Towthorpe and Burdale.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Wouldn't the culvert carrying the spring or pumping station overflow at Wharram Percy bridge be Number 15 then the Tunnel Number 16?
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

Another great photo Mike - thanks for posting.
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
MikeE
Paid up Member

Post by MikeE »

Tunnels did'nt carry a bridge plate Alan nor did culverts,(or very rarely) My North Eastern Railway diagrams of stations confirms all the bridge numbers correspond with my lists, I also have a British Rail list of bridges still owned by BR in the eighties with map reference numbers I aquired from the BR bridge inspector when I was a relief signalman at York in the eighties.
Also my NER linen map of Burdale shows it as bridge 16, bridge 19 is definately the backfilled brick bridge between Burdale and Towthorpe and there are only two bridges between bridge 19 and Burdale station bridge which must be 17 and 18 therefore Burdale has to be 16.
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Thanks for the info Mike but......."confused"