An interesting read

Please take time to post a message about your memories of the Malton to Driffield railway. No matter how small they are, it is always great to hear stories from the past.
john
Are you human?: Yes

An interesting read

Post by john »

A friend of mine recently lent me a book which I found to be a little gem relating to many of the former branch lines in North and East Yorkshire.

The book is titled 'Rails at Random' written by a gentleman called John Keavey. It's only a small volume, amounting to some 36 pages in A5 format and is a summary of the authors memories of journeys undertaken on the various lines in the period between the mid 1930's up to 1950 when he was growing up. Chapter one deals with the Malton - Driffield route which he travelled in the late summer of 1936. I would love to repeat his words here as he wrote them, but I may be breaching copywrite by doing so, however he recalls boarding the last train of the day from Malton in one of the bay platforms comprised of NER clerestory coaches headed by a grimy G5 0-4-4T loco. The train left for Driffield around 6pm and he details the things he saw en route including his surprise at encountering the tunnel at Burdale. 'Definitely dark and somewhat sulphurous' he writes. He refers to an extended stop at Fimber whist an errand boy goes off to deliver a package. Finally arriving at Driffield where he and his father changed trains to continue to Bridlington.

Another chapter deals with a journey from Scarborough to Whitby along the coast, where he describes travelling over the Larpool viaduct to the West Cliff station and then reversing down into Whitby town underneath the viaduct itself.

I walked the last part of this route very recently with the same friend who loaned the book to me. It was during that unseasonably warm few days we had at the end of February and if you get the chance I would recommend you do so yourselves. Access is quite good, the views from the viaduct itself are stunning and its interesting to see and walk along the trackbed heading down from West cliff to join the remaining line into Whiby alongside the River Esk. Gradient is about 1 in 50.

Back to the book itself. Subsequent chapters deal with various routes (mostly now closed) Pickering to Seamer via Forge valley, Boroughbridge to Pilmoor and even the short Easingwold branch. I found it a fascinating read.
DSCN1783.JPG
There's no ISBN number on it or anything, I believe it was written in the 1970's but I may be wrong. My friend found it in a secondhand bookshop in Thirsk 20 odd years ago. If you can get your hands on a copy I would strongly recommend it to the membership here.
20190227_131024.jpg
View from Larpool viaduct towards Whitby abbey
20190227_123622.jpg
Sorry I'm not sure why the last photo has come out sideways, perhaps a moderator can correct this. Its a view looking up at the Larpool viaduct taken from the trackbed of the spur heading down into Whitby itself from West Cliff
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Re: An interesting read

Post by 4008 »

Great read. Thank you for sharing!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
driver03

Post by driver03 »

Just found and ordered a copy of the book. Slightly different volume but same title by same author and for same area.
Tony.
john
Are you human?: Yes

Post by john »

I hope you enjoy it Tony. I've just checked the Amazon website and there are several sellers offering the book via their website if anyone else is interested in getting hold of a copy. As I mentioned earlier, it is a great read for anyone with an interest in many of the the closed railways in our area. I'm not in any way related to the author btw. Lol.

I did a little more research into the background of Mr Keavey the author, who is sadly no longer with us, it seems he was a founder member of the Embsay railway and also a keen cyclist who lived in York for many years.
driver03

Post by driver03 »

I ordered my copy from A.B.E Books.co.uk. £2.50 plus delivery.
Tony.