Work in Progress

Ricgough

Re: Work in Progress

Post by Ricgough »

E&W Lucas wrote:Well, well, well, haven't we been Busy Bunnies!

Haven't "stopped by" for ages, and look what you've gone and done. Superb effort, excellent! :D :D

Okay.... so what have you done with the real E+W Lucas? Untie him and let him out of the basement immediately, you're freaking me out!
E&W Lucas
Are you human?: Yes

Post by E&W Lucas »

I don't see why. Some time ago, you asked me how I would progress your project, as I was having some sport about tunnel re - boring schemes, and the like.

I seem to remember saying I'd forget (the then being projected) proposals for the old station site, and go to one side of the road at Fimber,or the other, and work from there. I'm hardly likely to criticise a project, that has evolved in precisely such a direction. A great pity that it's not the other side of the road. The section of the route to Burdale is gorgeous; I would love to travel over it, and a journey ending at the bricked up portal of a tunnel, in such a wild location, would actually be rather evocative. However, I can understand why you've gone "the other way", even if the option of going North ever existed.

A good friend of mine, also went to one of your meetings, not so long back. Positive feedback on the people involved, and the realism being displayed about costs. A move from dream to reality; to be applauded.
Rail Rover
Finance and Legal Director
Are you human?: No

Post by Rail Rover »

Despite a gap since the last post here, things have been moving on at a great pace on site, with all track panels down, most aligned & now to be levelled. Site manager Keith (& his many helpers) have done a terrific job with limited resources in getting the panels straight. They were placed roughly in position with the aid of a telehandler several weeks ago as in the post above & now have to be fettled.
Before aligning!
Before aligning!
How many volunteers does it take to fix a fishplate...?
How many volunteers does it take to fix a fishplate...?
Ian & George 'supervise' Keith...
Ian & George 'supervise' Keith...
Phil Robson
Rail Rover

Post by Rail Rover »

A start has now been made on the coach roof; it is being painted with black bitumen to protect it from the weather. Apart from the corners however, it is in good condition, being galvanised steel.
Rather a lot still to do!
Rather a lot still to do!
Paul & Connor are pressing on with rewiring the coach:
..please excuse the stool just this once!
..please excuse the stool just this once!
IMG_2118edit.jpg (47.33 KiB) Viewed 12583 times
And Tom, one of our junior members who has been helping with checking the loco's lighting:
"I wish it was switched on.."
"I wish it was switched on.."
Phil Robson
Rail Rover

Post by Rail Rover »

Some work has also been done on the worst of the coach doors. One was removed & had many pieces of new metal 'butt welded' in to replace rotten metal such as this part:
Where's the handle?
Where's the handle?
After repairs, it looked somewhat better:
That's better..
That's better..
New door skins should probably be the order of the day, but fortunately most of the other doors are much better!
Phil Robson
Turnip Town
Infrastructure Director/Secretary/Treasurer

Post by Turnip Town »

A pic from the Saturday 21st September working party.....
Attachments
1.JPG
Ivan Merino
Infrastructure Director/Treasurer
Rail Rover

Post by Rail Rover »

Pictures from 5 October....
Matthew awaiting instructions...
Matthew awaiting instructions...
Richard painting the coach roof...
Richard painting the coach roof...
..& the site 1 year on...
..& the site 1 year on...
Beautiful weather, just like a year ago!
Phil Robson
theholyllama
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by theholyllama »

A great series of pictures, Phil. Really shows the progress that has been made. Thanks!
James Russell
Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town »

Here are a few pics of recent progress.....
Attachments
Looking south (towards Wetwang village) volunteers remove earth ready for the installation of the final fence posts at the southern end of the site.
Looking south (towards Wetwang village) volunteers remove earth ready for the installation of the final fence posts at the southern end of the site.
Looking north (Malton direction) site fencing begins to take shape on Saturday 16th November.
Looking north (Malton direction) site fencing begins to take shape on Saturday 16th November.
Ivan Merino
Turnip Town

Post by Turnip Town »

A couple more from November 2013.....
Attachments
Replacement tongue & groove boards await the drying of new paint prior to fitting to the coach door interiors.
Replacement tongue & groove boards await the drying of new paint prior to fitting to the coach door interiors.
Further work has been taking place in the car park depositing more road planings to improve and level the surface.
Further work has been taking place in the car park depositing more road planings to improve and level the surface.
Ivan Merino