Level Crossings

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
MikeE
Paid up Member

Re: Level Crossings

Post by MikeE »

If you want the Gristhorpe gates I suggest you register an interest with Network Rail because I'm sure other preserved railways will be interested, quite a few of these have regular requests for equipment and take what they can whether they want it or not as NR usually donate such things. one or two points regarding level crossing gates on the M & D, those that opened away from the railway such as Settrington, North Grimston etc were not interlocked with the signals.those that had gates over the railway did not have home signals only distants which were fixed, the red targets and lamps on the gates being the stop signals. Whixley on the Harrogate line being the only survivor as far as I know of this system. Lebberston does not have any signals as the gates open away from the railway and are normally closed to road traffic and only opened for road traffic when requested and only when the block indicator shows no trains are signalled.
As far as Burton Agnes and Nafferton boxes are concerned they are stored in Leeman road yard at York outside and have rotted away and the lever frames have been robbed and rusty.
I bought the 60 lever frame from Seamer West box for someone who then didnt want it and it is in excellent condition under cover, this frame would make up into several small lever frames for use on the M & D and when the time comes I will donate and install it as required.In the meantime I will see what I can do regarding the Gristhorpe gates, one major problem with dealing with companies like NR is that no one person seems to like making a decision about disposing of such assets
Will
Are you human?: Yes

Post by Will »

How come the Gristhorpe gates and signalbox are still there? They were supposed to go at the same time as Cayton and Filey - they put up the warning lights and signage and things, but then work stopped completely, and the signalbox has since nicely refurbished. They even built the signalman a nice brick outside loo! The rumour round here (Filey) was that an old lady didn't want to sell some land which Railtrack needed for something important to the job... possibly a load of nonsense, possibly not...
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

I was told that they intended to "do" Gristhorpe a few years ago but that they required some sort of access agreement from a local farmer who wouldn't agree so they couldn't do it.
Similarly when Cayton crossing was converted about 10 years ago the box remained for about 4 years because power lines made it difficult to remove.
BTW I have been told that the Durham Coast line (Sunderland to Stockton) is to be resignalled and controlled from Tees box and I had a run up to Sunderland today and work seems to be well advanced with foundations for new signals and trunking in position.There are a fair number of useful sleepers on the site of the Steetley Magnesite works at Hartlepool and a fair amount of redundant track at Dawdon crossing together with the old NER wooden post bracket signal I mentioned elsewhere.
Ricgough

Post by Ricgough »

Darlington turntable has been surplus for how long....? - but irremovable due to overhead lines. Can see how that works out.

Also, Alan - you make absolute sense of my hazy memories of the tanfield signalling situation. How regularly do you see the Tanfield lot? Out of interest of course - are you NE local?
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Sunderland born and bred Ric and I know one of the Tanfield signalmen! They have a nice little setup there - not overdone and it is a convincing portrayal of the industrial scene.
dodger
Are you human?: No

Post by dodger »

I would say the reason why gristhorpe has not yet been converted to flashing lights and auto matic barriers is simply because the road that crosses it dosent go anywhere, except to a mushroom producer and a farm, and one or two houses, thats it, its probabley way down on the list of priorities, its more than likley cheaper to continue with traditional operation rather than to modernise, the railway already owns all the land nessecceary to convert this crossing, i cant see that been the issue, as far as i am aware there are no overhead power lines near the box, its probebly all down to the fact that its cheaper at present to pay the signalmans wages rather than go to the expence of modernising, but as stated in a previous post make the most of it as it will be gone within 2 yrs !!! :cry:
Richard Bond - willing volunteer
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Another factor involved on a line like this with multiple crossings is that if you wish to be able to use the line 24/7 then you have to man the crossings for 3 x 8 hour shifts a day, but if you automate it then you can use it any time.On the York to Harrogate line there is (or used to be) a tendency for the crossing keeper at Wilstrop to not turn up for the early morning shift, which causes everything to grind to a halt.
MikeE
Paid up Member

Post by MikeE »

Gristhorpe and Lebberston were scheduled to close with the Seamer re-signalling scheme in 2000 but it was land issue's at Gristhorpe which caused the delay, Jarvis had to complete the work that year before moving on elsewhere, the land issue's were unresolved in that time so Railtrack had to postpone their closure, equipment shortages then led to the removal of all relays,chargers and other equipment from Gristhorpe relay room. It is still on the cards to close them when the finance is available but the new lineside wiring layed in 2000 cannot be used as it has had no current through it since it was put down and decays when not in use, Seamer and Bridlington boxes are currently staffed till 2300 where Gristhorpe and Lebberston close around 2030 due to Northern not operating a service Beyond Bridlington after 2000 or on sundays, if they were to improve that service neccessatating longer operating times for Gristhorpe and Lebberston then that will be a just cause for the scheme to close them to be revived a bit earlier
dodger
Are you human?: No

Post by dodger »

I humbley stand corrected mike e, thank you !! :oops:
Richard Bond - willing volunteer
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

Here's an interesting bit of information on signalboxes - http://www.wensleydalerailway.com/html/signal_box.html . Note the phrase "with the help of an HLF grant of £21,500" - in other words that wasn't the full cost - and the 600 man hours of labour.
I spoke to a WRA volunteer and asked him why they had placed it halfway along the platform which meant it would not be able to monitor the level crossing when the WRA are running through to Northallerton and he replied "they had to get it rebuilt on a very short time frame to qualify for the grant". :oops: