Branch Line Society Railtour 2nd June 1957

Please take time to post a message about your memories of the Malton to Driffield railway. No matter how small they are, it is always great to hear stories from the past.
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Branch Line Society Railtour 2nd June 1957

Post by AndyB »

I have had this photo of D20 No 62387 on the Yorkshireman Railtour for quite awhile, but never really considered what it was doing stopped at North Grimston.

North Grimston D20 62387 2nd June 1957 BLS The Yorkshireman MyP.jpg

But yesterday, I stumbled across a report of the tour, which includes the running over the Malton and Driffield, and the real reason for the unplanned stop at North Grimston, and its certainly worth a read,
Picking out the bullet points, the loco ran tender first from Pilmoor junction for more than a third of the route (Chimney first from Kirbymoorside back to Gilling must have been a relief for the driver. The coal was of poor quality resulting in poor steaming, with just about enough pressure to maintain the vacuum and keep the loco and train brakes off. The relatively high geared D20 must have really struggled up the bank from Grimston to Burdale tunnel summit, with a lack of pressure combined with 6' 10" driving wheels and 5 bogies on, as the writer records that it took nine minutes to traverse the tunnel, which must have been real fun for the footplate crew and the passengers!!

https://www.branchline.uk/pastevent-alt.php?eventid=195
Note that the photo of a loco at Wharram in the link, is of a D49 on the Yorkshire Coast Railtour on 23rd June 1957

Here is the loco at Gilling, with the loco taking water after returning from Kirbymoorside and running around the train.

Gilling East BR D20 No 62387 MyP (2).jpg

And incredibly, there is a film of the passengers riding in open wagons during the stop off on the Easingwold Railway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5XZxTR ... 09Alycidon

Andy
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Re: Branch Line Society Railtour 2nd June 1957

Post by 4008 »

Great stuff Andy.

I also find https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/ an excellent resource of information.

2 railtours can be seen here:

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/50s/570623rc.html

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/50s/570206bl.html

We have some excellent photos of both the tours in our collection.

The footage you have found is amazing. I wonder if they took any of the journey on the M&D?!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
King123
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by King123 »

Very interesting article and thanks for sharing here! I put a railway ticket in the cabinet inside the coach sometime ago, referring to a rail tour in 1957 and the tour ran up the malton. Driffield railway line .
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

I’ve just been sent this rather interesting ticket on approval , by my good friend GB ticket ltd today .
Railtour 23 June 1957 (child) But did this railtour go via the Driffield Malton railway ??
If so I’ll purchase the ticket as he only wants £6:00 for it , that’s theft at that price me thinks! :D
Attachments
67618F4D-DEA6-479D-9FCF-FAC8E5CCAA7D.jpeg
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Post by AndyB »

King123 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:22 pm I’ve just been sent this rather interesting ticket on approval , by my good friend GB ticket ltd today .
Railtour 23 June 1957 (child) But did this railtour go via the Driffield Malton railway ??
If so I’ll purchase the ticket as he only wants £6:00 for it , that’s theft at that price me thinks! :D
Yes it was the tour with the D49, which also travelled over the MDR, and stopped at Wharram for water.

Andy
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

Ok Thanks for that I’ll get it , and make sure it goes in the display cabinet in coach for everybody to see , happy days !
andybat48
Paid up Member

Post by andybat48 »

Some really interesting reading here. Maybe we could have say Andy's article printed and put on display, for those who maybe travelled on that tour and bring back some happy memories.
menticknap
Paid up Member

Post by menticknap »

King123 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:13 pm Ok Thanks for that I’ll get it , and make sure it goes in the display cabinet in coach for everybody to see , happy days !
It will need some sort of text and a photo to explain the importance otherwise punters just say "Huh. A ticket. That's not very exiting".
Onwards and upwards.
King123
Paid up Member

Post by King123 »

Yes totally agree with you on that! It needs to go together with the other railtour ticket already in the display cabinet. And like you say some text information to explain to visitors public about the railtour etc.
GrahamD
Paid up Member

Post by GrahamD »

Like Andy says, it needs displaying with the rail tour clipping to say this was actually a ticket from that tour.
Graham Danby