The Dalesman

Please take time to post a message about your memories of the Malton to Driffield railway. No matter how small they are, it is always great to hear stories from the past.
Rail Rover
Finance and Legal Director
Are you human?: No

The Dalesman

Post by Rail Rover »

I have come across an edition of "The Dalesman" from September 1990, which had a couple of memories in of the 'M&D'.

The first is from D J Barr (Joe Barr) who was a lifelong friend of my late father's. Joe sadly died 3 years ago, & a legacy from him helped significantly with the vastly improved toilet facilities at Fimber Halt. Joe's parents were Dr & Mrs Barr & they lived at the corner of Lockwood Street & Middle Street in Driffield, where the dental practice & hairdressers is now.

J S Robson may well be known to others but unfortunately not to me, despite sharing their surname.

Dalesman 1.jpg
Dalesman 2.jpg
Phil Robson
Finance and Legal Director
jael
Charities Director
Are you human?: No

Re: The Dalesman

Post by jael »

I don't know if this is the article, Phil, as I can't find any records but I remember, probably fairly soon after we started, trying to contact the Dalesman and the individual author about something they had printed and getting absolutely nowhere. I think Matthew may have been involved as well.

On the subject of Dr. Barr his partner, Dr. Macintyre was our family doctor. There were no appointments you just waited in a big waiting room and went in in order of arrival. The practice then moved to Bridge St. and latterly to Eastgate. I know medicine and everything else has changed but there is a big difference between their surgery in Middle St. and the one in Eastgate which always reminds me of going into quite a reasonable hotel.
John Lidster
Charities Director
King123
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by King123 »

A very nice interesting article thanks for sharing Phil.
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

Great port Phil. Thanks.

Yes John, I contacted The Dalesman several times, to have little or no reply on each occasion.
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
andybat48
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by andybat48 »

As a child John, I remember the same situation of going to the doctor's and waiting to be called in, in the order of arrival, he did not have a secretary or receptionist either. Those were the days.