Maintenance Shed Information Gathering

GeoffPickering
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Maintenance Shed Information Gathering

Post by GeoffPickering »

As part of the replanning exercise, we need to examine the requirement for a maintenance shed. To inform this I would like to collect information about the shed capabilities available at other railways. The aim is to ensure we understand those comparisons and so we can be better informed to scale appropriately sized facilities.

The aim of this thread is to collect information. I will start another thread so that all your diverse opinions can be aired.

I request that people familiar with other heritage railways share similar information to that below for Chinnor and Princes Risborough.

My starting point is Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway.

"It has been a long-term ambition of the railway to provide a covered space for undertaking locomotive and carriage restoration at Chinnor. Thanks to a great deal of internal fund raising among our volunteers and supporters (who have all responded so splendidly), we now have a 48 x 10 x 5.5 (LxWxH) metre steel portal frame building with metal clad walls and roof, now proudly standing in our yard. The internal arrangements offer a restoration track capable of taking two coaches or two locomotives together with two workshops and a kitchen and toilet. We still need to raise funds to install an internal pit in the centre, which will help no end in loco maintenance, examinations etc."
https://www.chinnorrailway.co.uk/articl ... ing-centre

They raised £100k to get to this stage. The shed has 2 doors with track through 1 capable of taking the 2 coaches discussed in their description. The other door is not tracked yet and would provide space for a Eddie/Patricia type Loco.

The railway operates over 3-4 miles and has 6 Locos on site (one on hire) and 7 carriages. https://www.chinnorrailway.co.uk/articl ... nthusiasts