Church Lane Crossing Kellythorpe

Please take time to post a message about your memories of the Malton to Driffield railway. No matter how small they are, it is always great to hear stories from the past.
MikeE
Paid up Member

Re: Church Lane Crossing Kellythorpe

Post by MikeE »

Not sure to be honest. Ive not been down there for some time, I’ll have a look tomorrow.
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

GrahamD wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:09 am Looking at Google Earth, at the crossing now it shows a public footpath.
Does this walk along the old track bed and also do you cross the main Driffield bypass and continue to walk to the show ground.
That's exactly it Graham. If you follow it along you will see it join up to the branch that runs the other way over the showfield to market weighton.

Great photos and details Mike. Thanks for sharing.
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
chalkie
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by chalkie »

With reference to rodding, was channel rodding used over the length of the line, reason for asking i delivere to a property in fimber that the present owner says was the built for station master after closure, he showed me a few lengths of tube dug up from garden that we wondered if they were part of the rodding run from the Station, the fellow is a S&T fellow but more on the T side
🙋‍♂️
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

chalkie wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:26 pm With reference to rodding, was channel rodding used over the length of the line, reason for asking i delivere to a property in fimber that the present owner says was the built for station master after closure, he showed me a few lengths of tube dug up from garden that we wondered if they were part of the rodding run from the Station, the fellow is a S&T fellow but more on the T side
The NER normally used old gas pipes and rod rollers to suit. I expect these would have been the main type of rodding on the MDR and it's unlikely they would have been replaced with BR standard channel rods although not impossible since of course several signals were replaced or converted to upper quadrant.