Work in Progress

g.89
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Re: Work in Progress

Post by g.89 »

Remember the small caravan? It's become too small for the growing team of volunteers and it has been decided to let it go to the great caravan park in the sky! However, I have secured a stay of execution and the Wednesdayites have stripped out the interior so that it can be used as a temporary paint shop. We have some small items that have been living out in the open that require preparation and painting. This has been almost impossible because of late they have been permanently wet! Or covered in snow etc etc. They can now be brought 'indoors' and given their treatment before returning to their positions nicely painted.
The re-railers and small scales are the first to use the new paint shop
The re-railers and small scales are the first to use the new paint shop
Enough room for more items such as the planters
Enough room for more items such as the planters

The small van should be gone before we open. Ideas for disposal?
Give it to the army for target practice?
Any other ideas please feel free.
By Alan Cooper
donnyrover
Paid up Member

Post by donnyrover »

My idea would be to remove all of the outer bodywork entirely, and woodwork inside right down to chassis level, leaving the floor intact on the chassis, we could then use the caravan chassis as a versatile trailer capable of moving large, heavy items around the site by any vehicle with a tow bar. No doubt if necassary we could get the electrics up and running easily which would give us an on road trailer too.
Brian B.
g.89
Paid up Member

Post by g.89 »

It makes sense Brian and the thought had crossed my mind. The problem is I think, storing it on site. It would take up the same amount of room as now and be only slightly less of an eyesore. What do others think, especially board members?
By Alan Cooper
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

Hmmmm, the trailer idea is an interesting one!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
g.89
Paid up Member

Post by g.89 »

The trailer van, used at shows and exhibitions, has been improved. The number plate was fixed at such a height that ladders had to be used to change the number plate according to the vehicle being used to tow it, which made life a bit awkward so a new number plate and light has been fitted to the bottom of the door and is of a design intended for the easy interchange of plates without tools!

Also the inside has been fitted out with shelves to stack the boxes etc instead of them just being placed willy nilly inside the van.
The mucky mark shows the original position of the number plate
The mucky mark shows the original position of the number plate
The new fittings
The new fittings
Where there was chaos is now order!
Where there was chaos is now order!
A bit more work is planned to ventilate the van and secure the items on the left hand side to stop them falling over when bends are negotiated.
By Alan Cooper
donnyrover
Paid up Member

Post by donnyrover »

Nice job as always Alan, thanks to all who have contributed to the trailer restoration so far. Hope to be back on stream with the Wednesdayites soon.
Brian B.
Rail Rover
Finance and Legal Director
Are you human?: No

Post by Rail Rover »

Excellent work (as usual) by the Wednesdaytites!
Phil Robson
Rail Rover

Post by Rail Rover »

I visited the site yesterday morning to give a hand & saw the biggest turnout of volunteers I can remember! I think there were 16, including several new & recent faces! The weather was great & the place was absolutely buzzing with much activity including site induction training, track laying, loco repairs, show trailer refurbishment, electrical work & tea-making :D

Just a few pictures:
Track-laying with Rob, Matthew, Katy, Brian & Ian
Track-laying with Rob, Matthew, Katy, Brian & Ian
further track work with Ian C, Katy, Matthew, Ian B, Paul, Brian & Rob
further track work with Ian C, Katy, Matthew, Ian B, Paul, Brian & Rob
Loco repairs with Andy & Tony
Loco repairs with Andy & Tony
Well done to everyone! 2018 has seen some major steps forward already & it promises to be a truly great year for the railway!
Phil Robson
g.89
Paid up Member

Post by g.89 »

Yes Phil a very good day indeed. Lots of progress made on several fronts and some preparation for future endeavours via the measurements taken for repair of the shop van doors, plans for the easy erection of flag poles, sorting out the contents of the show trailer, measuring up for extra shop shelving, repair of one display board and prep for repairing the others.........the list goes on and on. Katy was busy with new shop stockists as well as wielding permanent way tools. One of the busyiest days on site so far.
A question:-
Why do we call them work ‘parties’? There’s plenty of work done but not much partying!! No cake, no booze, no disco, oh I know, there are now so many volunteers it’s musical chairs at lunch time despite moving into the big caravan with extra seating!!! :lol: :lol:
By Alan Cooper
dodger

Post by dodger »

g.89 wrote:Yes Phil a very good day indeed. Lots of progress made on several fronts and some preparation for future endeavours via the measurements taken for repair of the shop van doors, plans for the easy erection of flag poles, sorting out the contents of the show trailer, measuring up for extra shop shelving, repair of one display board and prep for repairing the others.........the list goes on and on. Katy was busy with new shop stockists as well as wielding permanent way tools. One of the busyiest days on site so far.
A question:-
Why do we call them work ‘parties’? There’s plenty of work done but not much partying!! No cake, no booze, no disco, oh I know, there are now so many volunteers it’s musical chairs at lunch time despite moving into the big caravan with extra seating!!! :lol: :lol:
Bigger caravan needed then lol !!!
Richard Bond - willing volunteer