MDR brick

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line
terryt
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

MDR brick

Post by terryt »

Just been sorting out the garage and came across a most surprising find-an almost perfect brick stamped MDR (like the one in the definitive book) I had forgotten I had `acquired` the brick and it must have been some years ago. Anyone any idea roughly how many are still in existence i.e are they rare?
AlanL

Re: MDR brick

Post by AlanL »

Legend has it that they all came from Burdale Tunnel Cottage. When I visited Burdale station in the 1970's I checked the bricks there and they were not marked MDR. The bricks used to turn up in the Malton auction regularly but since the auction has died they are probably quite rare.
terryt
Paid up Member

Post by terryt »

Thanks for that Alan-has anyone asked the obvious question "why just the one building and why,possibly,use unique bricks on the most remote building on the whole line? I was speaking to a railway historian of some worth the other day and he told me that railway companies, in the early days of the four independent companies, used locally sourced clay etc to manufacture bricks to reduce the costs as manufactured bricks were more expensive.Could there have been a local brick kiln near Burdale? Also,where did all the station name boards go-I know of the Wharram one. Also,also,I have searched pictures of the MDR and can`t find evidence of platform seating at either Burdale or North Grimston-was this an economy measure perhaps-TERRYT
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Post by AndyB »

I definitely did not go looking for an MDR brick today, during a trip out to the coast, but sometimes things just turn up unexpectedly, and I just about fell over myself to buy this in a shop when I stumbled across it :) :) :) :)
Andy
Attachments
P1000963r.JPG
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

Thats ace!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
Neil Gow

Post by Neil Gow »

That's where I got mine from in 1966 but mother threw it out during a house move.
Rail Rover
Finance and Legal Director
Are you human?: No

Post by Rail Rover »

I've just had a call form a lady who is kindly donating a MDR brick.

Interestingly her late husband picked it up at Sledmere & Fimber station in the 1970s. I didn't realise those bricks were used there. :?
Phil Robson
Finance and Legal Director
Membership, Media and Archive Director

Post by 4008 »

Neither did I. Interesting!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director
AlanL

Post by AlanL »

terryt wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:20 am Thanks for that Alan-has anyone asked the obvious question "why just the one building and why,possibly,use unique bricks on the most remote building on the whole line? I was speaking to a railway historian of some worth the other day and he told me that railway companies, in the early days of the four independent companies, used locally sourced clay etc to manufacture bricks to reduce the costs as manufactured bricks were more expensive.Could there have been a local brick kiln near Burdale? Also,where did all the station name boards go-I know of the Wharram one. Also,also,I have searched pictures of the MDR and can`t find evidence of platform seating at either Burdale or North Grimston-was this an economy measure perhaps-TERRYT

The photo was probably posted long after your 2012 post , but in the photos of Burdale station there's a photo of Mr Birdsall and a boy standing in front of a seat which has an LNER cast iron seatback sign "Burdale" on it. As for the station nameboards their vast size meant that that they were ideal for shelves. I remember visiting Everingham station in 1977 and the old NER diagonal paling fence had been lined with old enamel advertising signs , possibly to keep rodents out of the garden.
Will

Post by Will »

When Ebberston station was still an unrestored mess, I remember seeing the enamel sign in two halves. One piece was being used as a lid for the copper boiler in the wash house :)