It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:11 pm Advanced search

MDR brick

Somewhere to discuss existing or historical buildings/structures etc on the line

MDR brick

Postby terryt » Tue May 29, 2012 7:00 pm

Just been sorting out the garage and came across a most surprising find-an almost perfect brick stamped MDR (like the one in the definitive book) I had forgotten I had `acquired` the brick and it must have been some years ago. Anyone any idea roughly how many are still in existence i.e are they rare?
terryt
Paid up Member

Re: MDR brick

Postby AlanL » Tue May 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Legend has it that they all came from Burdale Tunnel Cottage. When I visited Burdale station in the 1970's I checked the bricks there and they were not marked MDR. The bricks used to turn up in the Malton auction regularly but since the auction has died they are probably quite rare.
AlanL
Paid up Member

Postby terryt » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:20 am

Thanks for that Alan-has anyone asked the obvious question "why just the one building and why,possibly,use unique bricks on the most remote building on the whole line? I was speaking to a railway historian of some worth the other day and he told me that railway companies, in the early days of the four independent companies, used locally sourced clay etc to manufacture bricks to reduce the costs as manufactured bricks were more expensive.Could there have been a local brick kiln near Burdale? Also,where did all the station name boards go-I know of the Wharram one. Also,also,I have searched pictures of the MDR and can`t find evidence of platform seating at either Burdale or North Grimston-was this an economy measure perhaps-TERRYT
terryt
Paid up Member

Postby AndyB » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:06 pm

I definitely did not go looking for an MDR brick today, during a trip out to the coast, but sometimes things just turn up unexpectedly, and I just about fell over myself to buy this in a shop when I stumbled across it :) :) :) :)
Andy
Attachments
P1000963r.JPG
AndyB
Paid up Member

Postby 4008 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:22 pm

Thats ace!
Matthew Brown
Membership, Media and Archive

Postby Neil Gow » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:34 pm

That's where I got mine from in 1966 but mother threw it out during a house move.
Neil Gow

Return to Bridges, Tunnels and other Infrastructure