Posting photos to the forum

Membership, Media and Archive Director

Posting photos to the forum

Post by 4008 »

All

You will have seen that users are able to post photos to the forum for others to view. These photos need to be "resized" to allow an upload and I have been asked what the best way is to do that.

Can I ask any forum users out there what process and/or software they are using to allow them to upload? I will then try some and make suggestions and prepare a "manual" accordingly.

All the software I have is paid for - I am sure there must be a free version someone out there is using?

Thanks in advance!
Matthew Brown
Member/Media/Archive Director

Re: Posting photos to the forum

Post by 4008 »

I think this website may have answered the question!

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... -an-image/

If you scroll down to "PAINT" - everyone with a PC will have that built in to their PC, and step by step instructions are given on how to resize the image. The important thing missed off is that you will need to SAVE the resized image with a DIFFERENT name to the original. Simply clicking save will just overwrite your original LARGE file, with the new smaller file which would be bad!

I would suggest resizing to 600 PIXELS on the horizontal - whilst ensuring the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" box is ticked. This will give a good sized image within the max file size permitted on the forum, and pick the correct corresponding vertical size.
Matthew Brown
AndyB
Paid up Member
Are you human?: No

Post by AndyB »

I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager, and normally "compress to document size".
Andy
Turnip Town
Infrastructure Director/Secretary/Treasurer

Post by Turnip Town »

I use Arcsoft photo software which often comes free with webcams and the like. As Matthew points out, using 600 pixels wide whilst maintaining the horizontal-vertical aspect ratio works fine for the forum and indeed Facebook.
Ivan Merino
Infrastructure Director/Treasurer

Post by 4008 »

Thanks for the replies so far!

Are there any others?!
Matthew Brown
menticknap
Paid up Member

Post by menticknap »

And how do you post your picture onto the forum?
Onwards and upwards.

Post by 4008 »

Me? I use Adobe Lightroom Classic CC. It costs around £10 per month, and I do all my photo editing on it. Its excellent. Basically, you import all photos into the software, edit them, and then export them. This leaves the original version of the file alone, so you can go back to it and re-edit it accordingly. You can export them however you wish. Full size, resized, with a watermark, one at a time, or a whole batch at once - any way!

You can also buy an older version (such as Lightroom 6) at a one off price (no monthly fee), and its certainly the easiest way to manipulate photos in my opinion. A quick search has found it at John Lewis for £120. Be warned though, no further updates are planned for it.
Matthew Brown
g.89
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Post by g.89 »

I post quite a few photos to the forum and have catalogues and files containing many more. I don't resize them though. I have 3 'custom' modes on my Panasonic FZ38 and one of these is set to the minimum picture size of 0.3m which is very small but loads up to the Forum with no further effort. As I don't print any of these shots their size is ok. I know the drawback is that should I or the railway wish to print any of these the results would be poor, however some have been published in the newsletter and appear to be adequate. If I were to take any photos that I thought were likely to be printed for another purpose I would reset the camera to another mode and take the picture again. (would have to be a 'static' shot though as any 'action' would be lost!)
By Alan Cooper