Garton Slack

Please take time to post a message about your memories of the Malton to Driffield railway. No matter how small they are, it is always great to hear stories from the past.
woolwinder
Are you human?: Yes

Garton Slack

Post by woolwinder »

During the 1950's my father had the contract to transport school dinners to Garton, Wetwang and Fridaythorpe Schools. It was a common occurence that we got held up at the Garton Slack level crossing gates. A freight train was present usually a J39 or a J27 with a few wagons. The crew always waved at us, as a youngster it made my day.

As a baby we travelled the line to Malton and then onto Helmsley but as you can guess no memories there.

Whilst trainspotting on Driffield station, a M&DR freight train would come into the Bridlington platform and take water. Now, I cannot remember if the train carried onto Bridlington or the loco ran round its train and headed for Hull or Market Weighton. Would anyone know?

Keep up the good work.

WW
chalkie
Paid up Member
Are you human?: Yes

Re: Garton Slack

Post by chalkie »

The original station buildings and platforms (numbered 1–3) were located a few yards to the west of the current station. These consisted of a train shed designed by G T Andrews and similar to his work at Filey and Beverley . Platform 3 was an extension to the original scheme and was a bay platform used for many years by the 'Malton Dodger' until the 1950s. 

from wikipedia
🙋‍♂️